3-Point Hitch JD 5103 hitch pribkems

/ JD 5103 hitch pribkems #1  

Rickclaw

Tractor
John Deere 5103
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a John Deere 5103. My 3 point hitch will not go down. The lever to move it up and down gives no response to the hitch.

If I use the draft lever, it will go up. If I use the draft lever and bring it all the way up, it will not go back down.

Both levers move freely and no binding

I have replaced the rock shaft assembly. Bought a new one and installed. Have tried adjusting the rate of drop knob also.

Still will not go down. I have seen on another post about a nut coming off inside.

Does anyone have any info or suggestions on this?

Thanks,
Rick

/ JD 5103 hitch pribkems #2  
I did a search on 5103 and here are a couple threads you may find of value. There maybe more. I also included the URL for JDparts, if you do not already have it. Always nice to see how things look before you take it apart.

If you do determine what the problem is, consider posting your findings

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/h...int-hitch.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/j...e-problem.html

John Deere - Parts Catalog

Here is from one of the posts - before removing the rate of drop valve. Either have nothing on the 3 pt or have it supported so it will not come crashing down.

I just fixed my tractor that also had only 60 hours on it. The problem is corrosion in the rate of drop valve located underneath the seat. Remove the seat, and you will find the valve that controls the rate of drop. Be prepared for some hyd fluid to leak out and the hitch to drop. Remove the three allen head screws and remove the cover. Inside the cover you will find a cylinder about 3/4" in diameter. Pull it out using a pliers, it may be stuck. This is the first place you will notice the corrosion. Once you have the cylinder out, there is a plunger on the opposite end. This plunger/piston is what is jammed or stuck. Break it loose and work it till it operates freely. There isn't much else you can do to it other than clean it. Then reassemble. According to the dealer I spoke with, the problem is caused by the fluid absorbing moisture, thus causing the corrosion. No recommendation for prevention, but it is an easy fix once you have done it. Good luck.

/ JD 5103 hitch pribkems
Thanks. I've already replaced the rock shaft control valve. Rate of drop is on it. Whole new assembly.

Have to look towards an internal problem or control arm linkage internal problem.

Anyone have this problem and it not be the rock shaft assembly?