JD 4115 test drive

/ JD 4115 test drive #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
I discovered yesterday that there is a John Deere dealer about 1.5 miles from work, so I decided to drop by over lunch. (Hey, it was a pretty day, and I was willing to use any excuse to go for a drive in the convertible over lunch /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.) Anyway, I took a 4115 with HST for a drive around the parking lot. To be honest, I wasn't particularly impressed with this $17K tractor.

There were a few of things I liked: 3 cylinder diesel with lots of torque, the HST drive had the forward and reverse pedals on the right side, with brakes on the left side (really liked that), and the HST tranny had a low and high range and neutral (I'm wishing for a "neutral" after having to build a dolly to move the PT!), it had hydraulic remotes and was pre-valved for a loader, and it made that hydraulic whine that I come to love.

There were also a few things that I didn't like: that 3 cylinder Yanmar diesel was LOUD (considerably louder than my B&S PT was my impression), the center of gravity was noticeably high, it just sort of felt "light" (even though it weighs 1700 lbs vs the PT 1200 lbs, perhaps that's another center of gravity issue), the hydraulic remotes flow rate was a little low at around 5gpm, the parking brake and "cruise control" had flimsy plastic handles, and the price: $17K. That seems like quite a premium for what you actually get (tractor + FEL).

I hadn't driven an HST CUT before (only manuals), so this was a revealing experience. All said and done, if I were chosing new, I think I'd probably favor a PT 2400 over a JD 4100, because there's simply so many things you can attach to it, although it certainly would be nice to have the PT quick attach for PT proprietary hydraulic attachments AND a 3pt hitch for cheap generic attachments. In fact, I'm somewhat surprised that there aren't more CUT's with some sort of front quick attach deal like the PT's. I guess that's a PT advantage, eh? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Anyway, that's my inflation-adjusted $0.02 worth.

Dave

/ JD 4115 test drive #2  
Dave,

Glad you were abale to check out the 4115. I've had mine for about 3 months (28 hours) and have been completely satisfied with it (61"FEL, 60"MMM, 60"Box Blade). The hydraulic flow has been totally responsive for front/mid/rear attachments and have split my time with the three. Looking to add a rear blade for snow.

I'm a rookie compared to your 800 hours of experience, but I haven't had the "top-heavy" feeling you described while dressing up some berms and filling in a ditch. For the 1st few hours I also didn't care for the plastic-handled emergency brake lever, but having used it many times, it has handled the task without a problem.

The price you were quoted is not in the same ball park with my area. My final purchase price for the 4115 w/turfs, the FEL, MMM, Box Blade, and tax was just over $18,000.

Thanks for your input and the great pics of one "gnarly" machine.

Steve

/ JD 4115 test drive
Steve:

I'm just curious. Do most traditional CUT's feel as top-heavy as the JD 4115? Or are there other similar CUT's that have a much lower COG? (Realistically, this COG thing may just be my impression since I'm used to the ridiculously low COG of the PT.)

Before I stumbled across the PT, I was looking to buy a grey-market Yanmar w/FEL. I test drove a couple, and I really don't remember having that top-heavy feeling with the Yanmar (but, again, this may just be because I'm used to the PT now.)

Btw, one impressive thing I'll certainly say is that these 1980-something Yanmar's are still running strong (after 20-30 years! Now, if I can get my 12 year old PT as reliable, I'll be in good shape). I'd assume since the 4115 is mfg'd by Yanmar that it should exhibit similar longevity.

Is it obvious from my posts that I'd love to have one of each? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Someone on a another group said "there's no such thing as too many tractors"...

Dave

/ JD 4115 test drive #4  
For what its worth, I have the same feeling when getting on 'normal' tractors now. It is kind of like if you rode in a car all your life, then got into a truck. It just sits up higher and feels strangely topheavy, even though it probably isn't. To get that open deck feeling they have to put the operators station up higher. My IH2500B is kind of a low boy. I sit way down between the fenders and my legs stradle the transmission tunnel, just like our PTs. With the cab and roll cage, it felt very secure.

When I test drove the JD4100 two years ago, my knees hit the steering wheel. It wasn't very comfortable. If you get the chance, try the NH line. They were the most comfortable to me. You might like them too.