JD 1010

/ JD 1010 #11  
Think the "fragile" part of the 1010 was the power plant.

The basic tractor cast steel frame is essentially the models M, 420, 430 well-made tractor. Played with some tranny changes in the early models, but then switched back to the sliding gear tranny that was much more solid, tried and true.

Not sure why they would "rear up" more with one wheel in front, unless it had to do with a weight factor.
Not much to compare between the 530 model (horizontal pistons) and the 1010 4cyl gas engine. Better comparison would be the 430 model (2-cyl upright) and the 1010 as pretty much the same tractors other than the newer engine.

/ JD 1010 #12  
Think the "fragile" part of the 1010 was the power plant.

The basic tractor cast steel frame is essentially the models M, 420, 430 well-made tractor. Played with some tranny changes in the early models, but then switched back to the sliding gear tranny that was much more solid, tried and true.

Not sure why they would "rear up" more with one wheel in front, unless it had to do with a weight factor.
Not much to compare between the 530 model (horizontal pistons) and the 1010 4cyl gas engine. Better comparison would be the 430 model (2-cyl upright) and the 1010 as pretty much the same tractors other than the newer engine.

Yes, I have heard that the 1010 & 2010 power plants were so bulletproof as the horizontal 2 cylinders....but being less tolerant of abuse than the horizontal 2s with their decades of development still leaves room for a decent tractor. That's all I'm saying.

Yep, I agree that the 420/430 series would be a better comparison. I just don't happen to have one handy. Wish I did...

On the rearing thing with a single front, it's not just a matter of weight, it's a matter of sideways resistance too. Maybe some other guys who used a single front tire configuration will chime in. The row crops weren't nearly so sensitive to the problem as the single front wheel tractors.

It's more than just rearing from lack of weight. Even if the front doesn't noticibly rise up, it gets light and then you lose all the side resistance. That doesn't happen with the row crop configuration so much because of how they are built.

On the single tire fronts, when the front end rises just a little bit you may not notice it until you have more traction with one rear wheel or maybe you notice that the steering is being unresponsive so you tap a wheel brake.

Then all of a sudden there is no side resistance from the front tire and the unequal push from the rear tires can make the whole front end swing sideways fast enough to make your vision blur. That's why I said be careful. Be especially careful with the wheel brakes. I scared myself several times until switching to the wide front.
rScotty

/ JD 1010 #13  
When my 420 with the standard (wide front) would get light, would just use the wheel brakes to steer.
Don't consider it an issue, but your experience apparently varies.
Depends on the pulling load and lift connections.

/ JD 1010 #14  
When my 420 with the standard (wide front) would get light, would just use the wheel brakes to steer.
Don't consider it an issue, but your experience apparently varies.
Depends on the pulling load and lift connections.

Exactly. A wide front is not only lots heavier, it is pivoted in the center of the axle. So when one side of the axle goes up it forces the other tire down. Sideways resistance stays constant and the wheel brakes work well for steering.
rScotty

/ JD 1010 #15  
On the rearing thing with a single front, it's not just a matter of weight, it's a matter of sideways resistance too. Maybe some other guys who used a single front tire configuration will chime in. The row crops weren't nearly so sensitive to the problem as the single front wheel tractors.

rScotty
rScotty
Single frt wheel was included with Rowcrop models. Single frt wheel was designed to fit between rowcrops better than dual frt tires. Easier raising of frt end when pulling a load is due to less weight on frt end of tractor nothing more/nothing less IF LOAD IS ATTACHED PROPERLY TO FACTORY DRAWBAR

/ JD 1010 #16  
Yes, I have heard that the 1010 & 2010 power plants were so bulletproof as the horizontal 2 cylinders....but being less tolerant of abuse than the horizontal 2s with their decades of development still leaves room for a decent tractor. That's all I'm saying.

Yep, I agree that the 420/430 series would be a better comparison. I just don't happen to have one handy. Wish I did...

It's more than just rearing from lack of weight. Even if the front doesn't noticibly rise up, it gets light and then you lose all the side resistance. That doesn't happen with the row crop configuration so much because of how they are built.

On the single tire fronts, when the front end rises just a little bit you may not notice it until you have more traction with one rear wheel or maybe you notice that the steering is being unresponsive so you tap a wheel brake.

Then all of a sudden there is no side resistance from the front tire and the unequal push from the rear tires can make the whole front end swing sideways fast enough to make your vision blur. That's why I said be careful. Be especially careful with the wheel brakes. I scared myself several times until switching to the wide front.
rScotty

I had, and have, the 2010 tricycle with a twin wheel front. My dad bought it when I was a boy. It has a front weight set on it - only a couple hundred pounds. I never noticed how much difference it makes til I left it off once after working on the tractor. - - Different machine with some weight out front! - - It is the absolute best tractor for bushogging with a 5' bushog. It mows between the tracks of the rear AGs, so the only affected grass is from the narrow fronts. A mowed field will look almost like a lawn.

/ JD 1010 #17  
There is a saying that is used to describe the model 1010 and 2010 by those of us that grew up using them on the farm, goes like this, "if you get a good one you cannot break it, if you get a bad one you cannot fix it". That being said I think I have a good one, hope you do too.

0178b708711167292be4cb9ef00a01eec2aa9b962f.jpg
01039246fa67a911207b3e86bd2f05f9013a124b8b.jpg