Is this a good deal for 3K? Please help!

/ Is this a good deal for 3K? Please help! #1  

rww_94

Tractor
7500 HST - Kubota
I have been getting cold feet on buying a new cylinder diesel that will cause me to be locked into payments for 4 years. granted a hydrostatic tranny would be nice.....

I came across an opportunity yesterday. A 2wheel drive 16 HP Bolens/Iseki diesel that the owner bought new in 1986. Hour meet is claimed to stop working a year ago and reads 626 hours give or take. (I suspect is has 1000 or so). She shows obvious wear but appears to be mechanically sound and started up on the second hit of the glow plugs. I did notice that it did not like to idle - it wanted to stall. Comes with : <ul type="square"> [*]48" Deck -fair condition [*]4' JBar brush hog - good condition [*]60" rear woods blade - fair condition [/list]

One thing I could use some feedback on it the reliability of this (cold weather?) and how difficult it is to take the deck on/off. Looks to be a 'bugger'. 3K is the asking price and would save be approx 12K - at least in the next few years.

/ Is this a good deal for 3K? Please help! #2  
Golly Bud is there any doubt as to what to do?.......Recently bought the same vintage TL 2300 as yours......showing 1500 hrs.....FEL, ROPS, and bush hog.......NO MATTER that I have to totally rewire it at a bit of a cost, the oil needs changin.....lolol....tires need a bit of air, and yes a couple of cans of spray paint.......whole lot cheaper than payments each month to just pay cash and be done with it......I look out at my driveway full of 4 post 1998 vehicles that are paid for and walk all the way to the bank with the money left over after what little the monthly maintenance on this paid for "fleet" costs me...........As an old hand told me when deciding on the tractor that I purchased back in November said......it is paid for.....and go down to Lowe's and see what your money will buy you for the same amount and diminished capability............good LUCK......BE SAFE.....Dennis

/ Is this a good deal for 3K? Please help! #3  
Where do you live? If you live in Switzerland than it is a true steal. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Is this a good deal for 3K? Please help! #4  
I would ask a few questions before I tell you if it is a good deal.

1. Are parts readily available for the tractor?
2. Are you mechanically good enough to repair the tractor or is service readily available?
3. Does owning a new tractor really mean that much to you?

If you can find parts and can either do the service of have the service done reasonably easy and owning a new tractor is not that much to you.

Then the anwers is buy it. With the equipment the tractor become cheaper.

Before I bought mine I found out service and parts are about 1 hour away. Now mind you I might have to wait about a week or so for parts that have to come from Japan. And I the parts know parts will be a little higher. But for what I paid verse a new tractor I can wait for parts.

Hope this helps you.

Don Worrell

/ Is this a good deal for 3K? Please help! #5  
For $3000 that is about right. It sounds like a Bolens G152. I have had 2 of them. One of them was my first tractor. I paid $3600 for it with 300 hours on it. It came with a 48 inch belly mower, a turning plow and a one row cultivator. Mine ran like a top. I ended up selling because I wanted to use it for more than an over sized lawnmower and taking that belly mower on and off took me 20 to 30 minutes on or off. That is why I like rear mount mowers. Of course todays new tractors have quicker attaching belly mowers but the tractors they are attached to cost a lot more. The parts for a Bolens can be a little tricky and are usually easier to get from a grey market dealer like Len Sheffer than anyone else. Attacched is a picture of one of my Bolens.

Attachments

• 250132-BolensG152_frontside.JPG
    250132-BolensG152_frontside.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 340
   / Is this a good deal for 3K? Please help! #6  
I can supply most any part for this tractor from my US sources. The attachments are a different story. I haven't researched them at all.