Is it alright to increase rim/tire size?

/ Is it alright to increase rim/tire size? #1  

MGnnr24

Tractor
4110 Mahindra
My uncle was looking at my tractor this weekend and thought I'd be nice if it had maybe 28/30 inch rims. I'd have to agree it be nice even if it was just to get the extra ground clearance. The tractor is 4x4 I'd guess I'd have to increase the fronts by an equal ratio? I don't plan on doing this, at least not anytime soon, I'm really just throwing this out to see if it could be done, without bad side effects.
Thanks in advace.

/ Is it alright to increase rim/tire size? #2  
It can be done, although I can't imagine why you would go to the trouble and expense for a little more ground clearance. Assuming you keep the same ratio, you will be gearing higher, more strain on engine, or use lower gear, and raising the center of gravity for more risk of tip-over.

/ Is it alright to increase rim/tire size? #3  
i am not saying it can't be done or if it should be done. But i'll bet there is a good reason why the design engineers selected a certain size rim to work best with your tractor.

/ Is it alright to increase rim/tire size? #4  
There are lots of folks who would say it won't cause any problems, but why even bother? If you need a tractor with a little more ground clearance, you can certainly find the model or make you need pretty easily these days.

I think that this would have been a realistic upgrade 40 years ago when there were only dealer-stock tractors to choose from. These days, a you can step up or down a model, or check out another brand and get a lot closer to what you really want. You might also ask the dealer how to get the ground clearance you need. If there is a "stock" solution (read "dealer upgrade"), then you will be on more solid ground if something doesn't work as it should.

/ Is it alright to increase rim/tire size? #5  
You don't specify what make and model of tractor you own. Yes, it would likely be possible to upsize your tires and rims but what purpose does your uncle think it would serve? If you do upsize and you have a MMM, will the mower still fit without interference? IMO, unless your existing tires are in need of replacement I think you would be better off trading up to a larger tractor.

/ Is it alright to increase rim/tire size? #6  
The short answer here is yes. Then come some tougher questions: clearances, 4WD ratios, warranty, expense.

I put larger rear tires on my tractor to gain some ground clearance for the MMM and have been catching hell about it ever since. Still glad I did it thought, because the tractor is much more useable with the extra clearance.

YMMV, of course

/ Is it alright to increase rim/tire size?
Thanks for the replies. I don't want to increase the size, it was just something that my uncle brought up and I thought it would make for an interesting discussion. My family has been brought up around fairly large tractors mostly larger model Deeres, 3020, 4020 have been pretty popular with my family and most farmers in the area for quite some time now. Smaller tractors have basically been used for raking hay and plowing the garden. My dad and my uncle both thought the same thing "that thing has little tires", when they saw my tractor. I'm not going to be baling hay or planting crops with the thing so it fits me just fine. I guess they haven't seen many of the compacts and probably don't realize what they can do, although dad is starting to get the picture. I believe his butt my be registering more time than mine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Is it alright to increase rim/tire size? #8  
There is some great info on this subject HERE ,Then go to the Tech info page and read the 4WD tire info page.

/ Is it alright to increase rim/tire size?
Kenny,
That link pretty much answers my orginal question, thanks.