Indiana farm land rental / lease prices

/ Indiana farm land rental / lease prices #1  

Kimocuda

Tractor
None
We have approximately 60 acres of farm land located in northern Indiana. I am interested in becoming more educated with the current value (e.g $75 - $100 per acre) of leasing this property to a nearly farmer for the purpose of cultivating corn or soy beans. TIA

Last edited:
   / Indiana farm land rental / lease prices #2  
Corn or soybeans is not hay. Hay ground rents are not as high.

Your best bet is to call your local ag extension or ask some local landowners who also rent acreage for beans or corn. It varies from location to location.

Last edited:
   / Indiana farm land rental / lease prices #3  
It's probably also going to depend on the history of the land, some land is treated worse than others and I'm sure a local row cropper will probably know the history of it.

/ Indiana farm land rental / lease prices #4  
We get $40 to $50 per acre in SC. Of course that's not Indiana.

/ Indiana farm land rental / lease prices #5  
   / Indiana farm land rental / lease prices #6  
Cash grain farming rent $220-$240 an acre here.

/ Indiana farm land rental / lease prices #9  
Great chart. Also, get a simple contract off the net and write a "maintain fertility" clause so nutrients must be maintained. Spend a couple bucks and ask a lawyer. Get the rent in two checks, half April 1st and the other half Nov 1st.

Also talk to your insurance agent. Most need that contract because part of it says the other farmer has liability coverage.

/ Indiana farm land rental / lease prices #10  
Back in the late 80's we bought 20 acres. 10 of it were tillable and being rented from a local farmer, who turned out to be friends with a coworker of mine. I had never met them, never had any paperwork as to the agreement, but one day a check showed up in the mail from them as payment for the rent. :) I finally spoke with them in person, and we agreed to continue the deal for the next year, but I wanted to reforest the fields the next year. They said OK, and the following year I got another check in the mail. Ended up being pretty good acquaintances for the next 30 years.