IH 444D (UK) Power Steering Cylinder

/ IH 444D (UK) Power Steering Cylinder #1  

DickC

Tractor
IH 444D
Need to replace a broken power steering cylinder for my English-built tractor. The part number is 3043938R92. The old cylinder broke at a previous weld repair. Had it broken just 5 seconds later, the tractor would have gone into my pond! Can anyone out there help to find a serviceable replacement cylinder? DSC02557.jpg
Thanks!

/ IH 444D (UK) Power Steering Cylinder #2  
   / IH 444D (UK) Power Steering Cylinder
Thanks DJ54. Took me all day yesterday just to learn the OEM part number because I didn't look in the right part of the Case IH parts catalog so I hadn't got around to searching any of the parts suppliers for it by number yet. Yes there is sticker shock involved, but what's one to do other than bite the bullet and go for it? Steering using differential braking of the back wheels across and up a rolling hillside and dodging trees is really pretty difficult, as I learned from first hand experience -- and it's hard not to mess around with the steering wheel at the same time even though it doesn't help any! I did contact Wengers yesterday but didn't know the OEM number at the time, but now I'm waiting to hear back from them directly. Thanks again.

/ IH 444D (UK) Power Steering Cylinder #4  
I enlarged your picture. Looks to be the ram part of the cylinder towards the back..?? If you have a good hydraulic repair shop near, I'd be tempted to see if they could make you a new ram. That is, if the cylinder tube is still good. It may be a bit cheaper than the used cylinder. Just a thought...

More than likely metric, but with all the newer equipment, I'm sure there is a lot of metric stock around.

/ IH 444D (UK) Power Steering Cylinder
It's actually broken at the forward end of the cylinder where a weld repair had been made long before I bought the tractor. I'll attach a photo. Meanwhile, I have ordered the used cylinder from Wegners. Fingers crossed on it! Thanks.
DSC02559.jpg
Was going to replace the hydraulic line banjos, bolts and washers at the same time because they have always leaked some oil, but only the washers are available from CaseIH. Maybe the banjos are just some kind of industry standard item? I have to check on that.

/ IH 444D (UK) Power Steering Cylinder #6  
Hope it does the trick. Usually there is some sort of warranty, or at least I'd think, for that kind of money... Believe I'd go to epay, and search that part number, or tractor description, then save that search. If ever one is posted to sell, it will let you know. If it goes for a reasonable price, believe I'd salt one away... I did the very same on a shifting cover for my old 310 B Case hoe... Found two within a month for $35.00 and $32.50. Well worth that, and let them go with it, when I sold it.

/ IH 444D (UK) Power Steering Cylinder #7  
It's actually broken at the forward end of the cylinder where a weld repair had been made long before I bought the tractor. I'll attach a photo. Meanwhile, I have ordered the used cylinder from Wegners. Fingers crossed on it! Thanks.
View attachment 280823
Was going to replace the hydraulic line banjos, bolts and washers at the same time because they have always leaked some oil, but only the washers are available from CaseIH. Maybe the banjos are just some kind of industry standard item? I have to check on that.

Hi!

I'm just now looking for a "lookalike"- power steering cylinder since I'm refurnishing mine of my Volvo BM Buster 320 for which it's non original.
Got to ask you not to throw away your broken one and let me know if you want to sell it. ;)

I need to ask you about your cylinder - what kind of make is it and is the o-rings/seals in it metric or inch?
I have made an overhaul on mine but the valve cage part is still leaking, so by replacing the old ones with new was a mix of both measurement system. But I guess someone else have been fiddling with this cylinder before. Do you know of a repair kit for these cylinders?

Now, about the banjos.
I also was looking for replacements but soon found that I had to make my own since today’s standard are too short or double banjo. It's really not that hard but you have to order M16x1x45 bolts (little uncertain about the length, just make sure the non thread part is long enough) and drill the holes yourself. Not only can you make them the same, they will be better since the bolt head is larger and gives you a better sealing surface.
Choose modern steel/rubber seals and not copper washers.
This part worked great on mine; you can have more details if you like.

Best regards/ Henrik - from the south of Sweden

IPHONE 630.jpgIPHONE 653.jpgIPHONE 673.jpgIPHONE 1365.jpgIPHONE 1489.jpg

/ IH 444D (UK) Power Steering Cylinder #8  
Hi!

I'm just now looking for a "lookalike"- power steering cylinder since I'm refurnishing mine of my Volvo BM Buster 320 for which it's non original.
Got to ask you not to throw away your broken one and let me know if you want to sell it. ;)

I need to ask you about your cylinder - what kind of make is it and is the o-rings/seals in it metric or inch?
I have made an overhaul on mine but the valve cage part is still leaking, so by replacing the old ones with new was a mix of both measurement system. But I guess someone else have been fiddling with this cylinder before. Do you know of a repair kit for these cylinders?

Now, about the banjos.
I also was looking for replacements but soon found that I had to make my own since today’s standard are too short or double banjo. It's really not that hard but you have to order M16x1x45 bolts (little uncertain about the length, just make sure the non thread part is long enough) and drill the holes yourself. Not only can you make them the same, they will be better since the bolt head is larger and gives you a better sealing surface.
Choose modern steel/rubber seals and not copper washers.
This part worked great on mine; you can have more details if you like.

Best regards/ Henrik - from the south of Sweden

View attachment 283658View attachment 283659View attachment 283660View attachment 283661View attachment 283662
Where did you get the parts?