Loader hydraulics on my JD 2720

/ hydraulics on my JD 2720 #1  

perazzi15

I have a 2010 with 30 hrs John Deere 2720 with 200cx loader with 61" bucket and 46 hoe with 13" bucket. My question is when I go to dig into a stone or dirt pile the bucket will not lift when I have a load in the bucket unless I back up a little. It seems as through the hydraulics just do not have enough lift pressure when I dig into the pile to lift the bucket unless I back up a little. The other question is my backhoe. When I swing or go up or down with the mast it seems as through it is going mach 1 and it does not have any finess to the movements compared to the dipper and the bucket curl. Does anyone know if there might be a problem with the hydraulics or is this normal.

/ hydraulics on my JD 2720 #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

You need practice...and then more practice after that;)

It is not uncommon not to be able to lift the bucket after driving it into a packed dirt pile, with time you will learn to lift and curl a little at the same time to get a full bucket of material.

For the backhoe, the swing is often very fast especially for new users, you can practice feathering the control or combining the swing motion another function so the hydraulic flow is split between the two so it moves slower.

/ hydraulics on my JD 2720 #3  
I'm going to guess he might have the engine RPM set too high for the backhoe operation too, Kenny...what do you think?

/ hydraulics on my JD 2720 #4  
I'm going to guess he might have the engine RPM set too high for the backhoe operation too, Kenny...what do you think?

I think you may be correct and that I over-analyzed the problem and missed the obvious.:thumbsup:

/ hydraulics on my JD 2720
I have the engine rpm at 1200 for the backhoe digging and the swing and up and down make no difference if I stay at low rpm's or high rpm's it just swings and goes up and down faster with the higher rpm's. The dirt pile is loose dirt that I have put in a pile while I flattened a piece of ground and it also makes no difference if the rpm's are high or low the bucket will not lift when I go into the pile. Example: drive into pile with bucket level and raise and tilt at the same time keeping pressure against the pile while raising and lifting but the bucket will tilt but will not raise doing this procedure. So what I do is back up just a little and let the bucket drag up the pile to finish getting a scoop. Does this sound acceptable way or should the loader be lifting up as this is loose dirt? Thanks for your ideas and if anyone has a 2720 is this what you have to do also?

/ hydraulics on my JD 2720 #6  
I think you may be correct and that I over-analyzed the problem and missed the obvious.:thumbsup:

I don't think you missed the obvious...I think it's a combination of what you wrote (needing more practice! practice! practice!) and maybe a bit too much RPM.
It takes a number of hours to get the controls feel for swinging the 'hoe. Bit lower RPM just slows things a bit whilst you're developing that feel.

Perazzi15, just keep running the 'hoe and loader. After some hours, you'll be an expert! Just take your time and don't be impatient...you'll develop bad habits that way.

/ hydraulics on my JD 2720 #7  
I believe both Kenny and Roy are right, practice and adjust your rpm's to the work load.

I have a 2720 with the exact same set up you have. When I started with the backhoe I was jerking in every direction. With lots of practice I can now swing, raise the boom and curl the bucket in one motion and doing all three at once makes everything smooth. Starting at low rpm's helped.

With the front bucket I have to back up a little if I'm trying to lift a heavy load. This past winter when using the bucket to remove the 4ft wall of very heavy snow the plows pushed in front of the driveway I could go in far but had to back up a little to lift the over flowing bucket. If I try lifting a heavy load of dirt or gravel I also have to back up slightly. If you can't lift the bucket with a not to heavy load try disconnecting the quick connects to the bucket and make sure their fully connected. One day my fel would occasionally go up slow, I removed and reconnected the quick connects and everything was back to normal.