Hydraulic Spool Valve Repair

/ Hydraulic Spool Valve Repair #1  

Steve777

Bronze Member
My Satoh Beaver (? 3 cyl 18hp) tractor came with an after market front end loader. Recently, the spool valves (two separate valves in a single casting) that control the loader have been acting strangely. Not working or moving very slowly in some positions, not returning to off when released, etc.

I am assuming that it is leaking O rings or some dirt in the valve assembly, but did not want to start taking it apart until I could find a source for replacement parts.

Does anyone know who made after market front end loaders for these tractors, whose spool valve they used, and where to get parts for it?

Also, any other suggestions for possible causes for these symptoms.

TIA

/ Hydraulic Spool Valve Repair #2  
If it's o-rings or seals then just about any reputable hydraulic shop should have the parts necessary to fix it, regardless of the manufacturer.

If something else is broken and you can't find out who made it or can't find parts then you can check out Surplus Center for a new valve. The 2-spool Eaton-Cessna valve at about $175 should be a real close fit if your hydraulic pump is 5 gpm or less.

/ Hydraulic Spool Valve Repair
Thanks Mad.

Any idea where I can find some generic pics of spool valves?

From what I've seen, seems like one can just unscrew the large nut at the end and remove the spool. That right, or is there more to it?

/ Hydraulic Spool Valve Repair #4  
Depends on the valve. Some have nuts or snap rings or sleeve covers held on with screws on both ends. Also some could be spring loaded. Some have many small rods, plungers, detent balls and other hardware. Go to Prince Hydraulics. They have parts breakdowns of all their valves. It might give you some indication as to what you are in for.

Usually all valves have the manufacturer name cast or stamped int the valve body. You should remove the valve from the tractor and see what you got.

/ Hydraulic Spool Valve Repair #5  
Thanks Mad.

Any idea where I can find some generic pics of spool valves?

From what I've seen, seems like one can just unscrew the large nut at the end and remove the spool. That right, or is there more to it?

/ Hydraulic Spool Valve Repair #6  
this probably isn't your problem, but i accidentally had my 3 point set too high and it caused the loader to act real weird until i lowered the end-stop a bit.

/ Hydraulic Spool Valve Repair #7  
My Satoh Beaver (? 3 cyl 18hp) tractor came with an after market front end loader. Recently, the spool valves (two separate valves in a single casting) that control the loader have been acting strangely. Not working or moving very slowly in some positions, not returning to off when released, etc.

I am assuming that it is leaking O rings or some dirt in the valve assembly, but did not want to start taking it apart until I could find a source for replacement parts.

Does anyone know who made after market front end loaders for these tractors, whose spool valve they used, and where to get parts for it?

Also, any other suggestions for possible causes for these symptoms.

TIA
Is your FEL a Blackhawk?
My valve started to be troublesome a few months ago. It is a 2 spool with float detent.
I believe it is a Cessna Valve.
I attribute it not working because of wear, but perhaps one should take it apart and see if O/rings are in there?

/ Hydraulic Spool Valve Repair #8  
Most control valves spools are machine fit without orings