Hydraulic oil on grass?

/ Hydraulic oil on grass? #1  

tom_k

After my tractor burst its oil cooler, I spilled a trail of NH 134 hydraulic fluid all over the grass, plus a couple puddles on the grass and gravel drive.

How do I deal with this, other than to let nature take its course?

I'm thinking I'll shovel up the oily gravel, then bury it, or take it to the land fill, or use it in a can to lube my garden tools.

As for the puddles on grass, I could toss some wood ash or kitty litter to absorb it, then shovel it up. I don't know what else to do. Maybe use a detergent to disperse the stuff?

/ Hydraulic oil on grass? #2  
Tom,
Get as much up as you can with shovels if you are by a water source, pond, stream, lake or whatever.. 134 has a high parrifin (wax) content so its not that toxic to land animals. Believe it or not, its written that motor oil is a lot worse.

/ Hydraulic oil on grass?
dogbreath108 said:
Tom,
Get as much up as you can with shovels if you are by a water source, pond, stream, lake or whatever.. 134 has a high parrifin (wax) content so its not that toxic to land animals. Believe it or not, its written that motor oil is a lot worse.

Yes, I looked up the Material Data Safety Sheet for NH 134 and it appears to be pretty benign stuff. Messy, yes, but not highly toxic to mamals, no known carcinogens, etc. From what I read elsewhere on the Net, I can expect hydro fluid to dissipate/break down in about a year. Fortunately, we're not too fussy about our lawns around here.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic oil on grass? #4  
Blew a line on an older tractor while splitting wood a few years back. Killed all the grass in a 15 foot circle. it all came beck within a few months.

/ Hydraulic oil on grass? #5  
You'll never notice it by next spring. It really does dissapate quickly. A light trail of it will kill any grass it contacts very quickly though.

/ Hydraulic oil on grass? #6  
I blew a hydrolic connection this spring and made a nice oval design in the yard while mowing before I realized the line broke. I lymed the oval area but the grass has still not grown back to date. Hopefully this spring.