HPR Renewable Diesel

/ HPR Renewable Diesel #1  

mclintoc

Tractor
2016 John Deere 5045e
Curious to hear if anyone out there is running renewable diesel in their trucks or tractors.

Right now it looks like this is only available in California and Europe, but it looks promising.
From the little that I've read about it, it seems to have the environmental benefits of biodiesel (as well as the extra-lubricity of biodiesel), but it isn't adversely affected by cold weather, and since it is almost molecularly identical to petroleum-based diesel, it is fit for all diesel engines.

/ HPR Renewable Diesel #2  
Biodiesel isn't available in my immediate area. Checking the phone book shows no outlets in the metro area either. My owners manual is silent on the use of biodiesel - I'd check with my local dealer prior to using the stuff.

/ HPR Renewable Diesel #3  
I've only used 5% bio. Can get it for only $2.29/gallon at the Shell station, about the same as what I pay at Exxon at $2.43-2.45 but with employee discount of 10% on untaxed portion.

Careful in going to bio after a long use of non bio. The bio will clean out the tank and plug up your fuel filter. Happened on about the 4th fuelup on our old 240D. Never ever had a shutdown of that vehicle in about 250,000 miles except for that.

Ralph

/ HPR Renewable Diesel
Just to note: Renewable Diesel is not biodiesel, though it is made from vegetable and animal oil.

/ HPR Renewable Diesel #5  
Don't ya just love the names they come up with for different stuff. Renewable Diesel gave me the impression that once you burn it, the exhaust comes back together and makes diesel again and then the user can use it again. Hence, renewable.

But I think it is a tit for tat thing anyway. While the process for making the diesel from oils and fats is different compared to biodiesel.... hydrocracking/hydrogenation vs transesterification... the end result is pretty much the same. But the renewable way is a little more efficient in the amount of net fuel formed in the process, and the cold flow is a little better, but it is not as cost effective as normal biodiesel production.

Don't ya just love what chemists can come up with!

/ HPR Renewable Diesel #6  
Yes I'm bringing back an old thread on purpose. Has anyone got more recent experience with renewable diesel? Not bio diesel, they're not the same thing. My local station switched to renewable diesel.

Here's a couple articles about it:

Higher cetane, better lubricity than regular diesel and doesn't have the water problems that biodoesel blends have make it sound pretty good. Reducing one's carbon output doesn't hurt either. I'd be happy if I didn't have to wash out my fuel containers after every use to get the traces of algae out. (even though I use a biocide).

/ HPR Renewable Diesel #7  
This company says its saving them a lot of money:

willy

/ HPR Renewable Diesel #8  
So far I've been pleased with the R99 renewable diesel. The tractor starts easier and runs smoother. When I leave it idling in the barn while changing implements there's less stink. I think the high cetane is responsible for the easier starts and smoother running. Supposedly it make less soot, so your DPF has an easier time.

It may be different in other places but here it costs about the same as normal diesel.

/ HPR Renewable Diesel #9  
Yes I'm bringing back an old thread on purpose. Has anyone got more recent experience with renewable diesel? Not bio diesel, they're not the same thing. My local station switched to renewable diesel.

Here's a couple articles about it:

Higher cetane, better lubricity than regular diesel and doesn't have the water problems that biodoesel blends have make it sound pretty good. Reducing one's carbon output doesn't hurt either. I'd be happy if I didn't have to wash out my fuel containers after every use to get the traces of algae out. (even though I use a biocide).
What biocide are you using? If it’s not killing algae either it’s not really a biocide or you’re not mixing it right…