Oil & Fuel How to hand turn a 2030 Diesel engine

/ How to hand turn a 2030 Diesel engine #1  

Anonymous Poster

I am trying to adjust the valves on a 2030 Diesel, and cannot find a way to hook a wrench to something that will hand turn the flywheel so I can find TDC.

Anyone have suggestions how to do this, or where a barring tool port might be to crank this sucker?

Thanks, pardon the ignorance,jon.

/ How to hand turn a 2030 Diesel engine #2  
Jon I know this isn't the correct way but... I found that if you have a good beefy metal fan & a good tight belt (overtightened just for this purpose & then readjust when your done) you can turn the engine over that way. The trick is you have to go very very slow to allow those high compression cylinders to bleed past the rings. (and also to not exert so much force as to damage the fan) It takes a pretty long time, however you don't need to buy any special tools. I did it twice on a fresh rebuild & it worked just fine. I took my time though & was careful. It would also be helpful to have someone put the TDC alignment pin into the ring gear / flywheel at the right time as your trying to get everything just perfect.

Troy

/ How to hand turn a 2030 Diesel engine
Thanks troy, I will try the overtighten belt method. My only other idea right now is 4th gear high, and use a come-along and drag it slowly!
jon