Help with parking brake question T5C

/ Help with parking brake question T5C #1  

Alan7s

Silver Member
Tractor
Terramite T5C
The previous owner had removed the parking brake and said we wouldn't need it. After a couple months use, I have decided it would be useful and safe so I want to rebuild it. He kindly saved some of the parts in a box so I have those. The parts manual shows the pieces around the drum and brake band and fasteners so that should be OK. But I can't find any picture of what's under the brake handle. I see it comes out of the (now empty) rectangular hole, but can't figure out how it attaches. The handle is in the box and is attached to 2 steel plates about 1" apart with several holes, but nothing else that might be a bracket, spacer etc. I'd sure appreciate it if someone could look under their machine and tell me what it attaches to. Or, if there are drawings already posted somewhere. Thanks in advance

/ Help with parking brake question T5C #2  
Sorry, my brakes were not there when I bought it. I am actually considering finding a axle/hub mounted brake since it would be better than the one that came with the tractor. This is a typical dana rear end from the 60's-70's....we should be able to mount a drum brake on it from that time period....just too many projects to work on that one right now. Good luck. You can always call the Terramite guys....I have found them to be helpful when needed. Good luck

/ Help with parking brake question T5C
OK thanks for reply Scott. I figure sooner or later someone with the brake will reply and then I can call the company for what I need.
I have fine tuned the foot pedal as carefully as I could and that has eliminated most of the creep but I still need a brake.

/ Help with parking brake question T5C #4  
Call and talk to Felix in parts at Terramite. 18004283772

/ Help with parking brake question T5C #5  
OK thanks for reply Scott. I figure sooner or later someone with the brake will reply and then I can call the company for what I need.
I have fine tuned the foot pedal as carefully as I could and that has eliminated most of the creep but I still need a brake.
Do you have the manual pages for the parking brake? What parts if any were left on the unit? Hopefully the brake lever assembly was left. I am presently in the process of repairing my T7 parking brake, replacing the band etc. Was non functional when I purchased the unit. If I had your email I could send you the brake assembly diagrams but have little on the lever assembly. I plan to install a switch and a bright blinking led to remind me that the brake is engaged.
KS

All that was left is the actual brake handle with the adjusting screw on the end of the handle. The handle is pinned between two rectangular steel
plates which (now) swing freely as it is only the one pin holding it all together. I see the slot in the chassis where it is supposed to fit, but I don't
have any pictures or instructions. The seller also left the cable which connects the handle to the drum and band (both of which I have). No amount
of solvent/oil etc. will loosen that cable which is frozen with rust, so I plan to buy a new one. But what hardware holds together those plates in
which the brake handle is mounted, is something I'd like to know about. And also how those plates are fastened to the tractor once the cable
assembly is installed.

Thanks for writing. MY email is alan7s@yahoo.com.

John

All that was left is the actual brake handle with the adjusting screw on the end of the handle. The handle is pinned between two rectangular steel
plates which (now) swing freely as it is only the one pin holding it all together. I see the slot in the chassis where it is supposed to fit, but I don't
have any pictures or instructions. The seller also left the cable which connects the handle to the drum and band (both of which I have). No amount
of solvent/oil etc. will loosen that cable which is frozen with rust, so I plan to buy a new one. But what hardware holds together those plates in
which the brake handle is mounted, is something I'd like to know about. And also how those plates are fastened to the tractor once the cable
assembly is installed.

Thanks for writing. MY email is alan7s@yahoo.com.

John

Hi Ken;

Many thanks for your very helpful reply; I did miss that picture on 5.9 and that really clears up a lot.
From the wear marks, it seems like there are just some spacers separating those steel plates in which
the handle is mounted. And from the detailed pictures on 3.12 and 3.13, I can make or order any
parts needed down below. You never know how much you need a handbrake until you don't have one!