Hello from Peculiar, Missouri

/ Hello from Peculiar, Missouri #1  

Peculiarfarmgal

Tractor
Farmall super A
hi,
I joined in 2014 but I apparently had forgotten. ( yet another senior moment;)) My husband and I are the caretakers of my family’s Century farm. We are getting old and losing precious time clearing/ working on over 200 acres without the proper equipment. Even though the property has been in the same family since 1837, we are looked at as outsiders in the small community, so what few people who live in the area either don’t qualify as dependable hires or mad because we enforce No Trespassing.
Since we are now retired, we split our time up about 50% , weather permitting as we have a creek that flows across the middle of the property and my great grandmother’s old farmhouse is on the other side of the creek. Doing what we can for our children and grandchildren to hopefully give them more time to enjoy the place with the maintenance it requires versus the state of neglect we have been dealing with since my grandfather/siblings died 30 years ago.

Last edited:
   / Hello from Peculiar, Missouri #2  
I hope you are not trying to clear land with a Farmall Super A !

/ Hello from Peculiar, Missouri
I hope you are not trying to clear land with a Farmall Super A !
LOL. NO, we mowed our 5 acres ( our residence) until we bought a zero turn. We still put the front and back blades and wheel weights on it to clear snow if needed as we live outside city limits on a dead end gravel road. We are not on the priority list for snow removal. Old Red has been a good machine but pulling a 5’ woods mower deck, hooking her up to a small trailer for yard clean up or moving cut wood has been her main use. And the occasional tractor rides for our grandsons.

/ Hello from Peculiar, Missouri #4  
hi,
I joined in 2014 but I apparently had forgotten. ( yet another senior moment;)) My husband and I are the caretakers of my family’s Century farm. We are getting old and losing precious time clearing/ working on over 200 acres without the proper equipment. Even though the property has been in the same family since 1837, we are looked at as outsiders in the small community, so what few people who live in the area either don’t qualify as dependable hires or mad because we enforce No Trespassing.
Since we are now retired, we split our time up about 50% , weather permitting as we have a creek that flows across the middle of the property and my great grandmother’s old farmhouse is on the other side of the creek. Doing what we can for our children and grandchildren to hopefully give them more time to enjoy the place with the maintenance it requires versus the state of neglect we have been dealing with since my grandfather/siblings died 30 years ago.
PFC, A century farm is something to hold on to. Those roots make you unusual in America, and you are in an enviable situation . I recently bought a 150 acre century farm, neglected resultant from the death of the farmer in the 30's, and then lackadaisical attention from the offspring through 2010. Even with the right equipment, there is a lot of work with boots on the ground - cutting old woven wire and barbed wire fence, installing new fence, cutting trees, any kind of new cement work. I'm in a race to get as much done while I still can - hoping to have jobs in the future that can be done from a tractor seat.
Anyway, my recommendations - a Stihl 16" bar chain saw, 40 hp tractor with front end loader and 4 point backhoe, with HST transmission,. If you have 50+ acres of pasture to maintain, a batwing bush hog,
"Outsiders" label will peel off slowly with your participation in community activities - church, fund raising, clean-up days, etc. Remember what you learned in high school - to have a friend, you have to be a friend.
Have fun with what you're doing.

/ Hello from Peculiar, Missouri #5  
We're happy to have you as a member. It sounds like you have a lot to keep you busy, maybe a little too busy!

/ Hello from Peculiar, Missouri #7  
3032514546.gif

and enjoy the forum!