Comparison Gx345 vs 727a zero turn

/ Gx345 vs 727a zero turn #1  

Heinlein0311

Tractor
John Deere GX 345, John Deere 3320
I currently own a 2003 Gx345 54" deck that I bought a couple months ago. It had 1070 hours on it and started smoking pretty bad after I got it. I bought it from a JD mechanic. Long story short there was a ton of new parts thrown at it and it was fixed and runs really nicely. The mechanic says its pretty much a rebuilt motor. Over all I have $2600 into it and that includes the sales price. As I was at his place he had a 2004 JD 727A zero turn mower for sale with 525 hours. 54" 7iron deck with the power flow bagger system on it.....he's making me a deal and saying I could trade back in my gx345 plus $500 for this 727....I know it's a pretty good deal. It's in nice shape and overall I would be paying $3100 for it which is a steal but I know nothing about them......my 345 has the kawi 20hp liquid cool engine vs the kawi 23hp air cooled in the 727. Anybody have problems with that engine or mower?

I only mow my lawn which is 2 acres and I was lent a zero turn while my 345 was being fixed and just liked the way they left nice straight lines.

I pull an aerator in the fall but that's the only attachment I use and I was assured the zero turn could pull that.

I'm just afraid that I'll get this zero turn and it will start showing problems and In the meantime i just traded in a nice gx 345 with a rebuilt engine that should last me for years.

Any thoughts or opinions?

/ Gx345 vs 727a zero turn #2  
This one is easy-you need both!

Now back to reality-I've got a JD 345, a JD2210, and just got a JD Z820A. Here are a couple of points to consider.

If your lawn is not fairly flat, based on my experience, I would favor the GX345, as you'll probably be more comfortable with it on slopes. Granted, you should always try to go straight up and down, but sometimes you just have to turn the machine around. The differential lock on the GX345 (which my 345 doesn't have) is a nice feature.

If others in the family occassionally will operate the machine, I'd also suggest the GX345, as it will take a bit of a learning curve to get as comfortable with a ZTR as with a conventional lawn/garden tractor. Some folks will just never get comfortable with a ZTR-we've tried at least 2, maybe 3 times to get my MIL a ZTR, and no dice. She will never be comfortable with something that doesn't have a steering wheel. Maybe some day we can get her to try one of the hybrid ZTR's that use a steering wheel, but I'm not holding my breath.

Got a lot of trimming like trees, shrubs, islands? No question here, the 727 wins out. Have limited time? Here again, the ZTR wins out.

Looking for a more professional cut? This one's real easy-the 727 all the way. The 7 Iron deck really seems to give a terrific looking cut compared to my 345.

One additionial thought: As popular as ZTR's have become, you'll most likely find the future value of it to be significantly better, and the 727 you are looking at will obviously have fewer hours because you are starting with fewer, and it should normally not take as long each time to mow.

For $500 difference, I'd be hard pressed not to go with the 727, but that's without seeing it or your lawn.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
   / Gx345 vs 727a zero turn
Thanks for the response. I'd love to have both, wife would kill me. But atleast she'd have a good looking lawn. You pretty much hit everything spot on. The dealer says the same thing about everyone wanting a ztr and it would b easier to sell in the future but either way I go I hope to have it for many years......no differential lock on mine, that came out in 04' or 05'....I do like the professional cut a ztr makes. I can't get straight lines with my 345 nearly as good as I can with a ztr. My land has some small hills n slopes but using the cub cadet ztr I didn't notice any scalping.....hard decision. Maybe I'll get him to bring it here to try out before making any commitments