groundsmaster 325D keeps shutting down

/ groundsmaster 325D keeps shutting down #1  

laurencen

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5600T Kioti CK20, Cat D2 dozer, Cat 420 tractor loader, Deer 644E loader, Bobcat E32 mini and Bobcat 590 skidsteer, Toro Groundsmaster 325D
have to locate a manual and wiring diagram, this season the machine starts, runs fir a few seconds and shuts down, the shutoff solenoid is pulling in once it gets running, then once stopped releases, when running if I cycle the starter it continues, every now and again it will stay running but once the PTO is engages it shuts down, thinking a bad wire but hit and miss.

ideas anyone maybe you have had a similar issue

/ groundsmaster 325D keeps shutting down #2  
I had one that the shutoff solenoid quit working. Had to get off and push the plunger to stop the engine. So you could disconnect the solenoid as a test to see if the engine keeps running.

PTO is likely a separate problem.

Click here for wiring diagram, it is in the parts list: Parts | Toro

/ groundsmaster 325D keeps shutting down
thanks Xfaxman this helps, what I did find is the seat switch is bypassed, the shutoff solenoid seems to work, turn key on and it opens, it will stay that way indefinitely until key is switched to off, if you engage starter it will start but solenoid times out and shuts off, Im thinking its in the red plastic control box and assume its not serviceable, now I have a grey plastic box possibly a relay that buzzes besides it, looks like 3 wires this may be worn out, anyway rain last night so hopefully take a better look tonight

as for the PTO lever, the switch is whats killing the motor, was not doing this last season but agree its likely another issue developed.

regarding the red plastic control box? anything serviceable in there? looks like the ignition circuit goes thro to it and fires the fuel solenoid, ever opened this box up to see whats inside, diagram just shows the wires in and out with no internal info and assume this is arm and a leg

why do these things quit at the same time, my Deere mower the fuel pump died on the weekend and a pump at deere was 275 dollars, lots on ebay for 25 dollars just none anywhere in Canada

be safe

/ groundsmaster 325D keeps shutting down #4  
thanks Xfaxman this helps, -------------
You're welcome
regarding the red plastic control box? anything serviceable in there? looks like the ignition circuit goes thro to it and fires the fuel solenoid, ever opened this box up to see whats inside, diagram just shows the wires in and out with no internal info and assume this is arm and a leg

why do these things quit at the same time, my Deere mower the fuel pump died on the weekend ------------
They belong to the same mowers union :D

be safe
No experience with the control box. It shows the same on the 1996 diagram that I saved:

1996 325D.JPG

cut grass a few times and each time it shuts down seconds after starting, cycle the key it will keep running and after half dozen cycles its good, ny suspect is the ignition switch, possibly a corroded terminal as the start position is now finicky, will have to see if the voltage is maintaining after key is turned to run position

Xfaxman, the ignition switch circuitry does the letters match markings on the switch terminals, is there any way to identify the terminals on the diagram, possibly terminal X + Y is not making full contact

/ groundsmaster 325D keeps shutting down #7  
I'm pretty sure the red box is the thermal shut down. It has a manual relay reset switch. You may have a short in your temperature gauge. They are mechanical contact... meaning the two brass contacts you can see through the face of the gauge make contact at overheat. I had to bypass mine.

Also, given that it shuts off after a few seconds, it could be a faulty trigger to the interlock control module (black box). The module is solid state, and expensive. If the fault is in the module, it's junk. Finding one is difficult, and the last one I found was $180 used.

What you might want to try, is simply unhooking the wire that goes to the fuel shutoff (shutdown) solenoid. Thankfully, the Mitsubishi K3D uses a passive on/powered shutoff... so it will run without power. However, it will require you to manually shut down the engine buy pressing in on the rubber cover.

I noticed you said your operator presence (seat) safety switch was bypassed. When I rewired mine, I relocated this switch to the oil pressure warning light location of the instrument panel. I wired it through the ON position of the ignition switch, with a direct wire to the shutoff solenoid. It's not pretty, but it works until you can tidy it up.

thanks for the info, what I viewed after several grass cutting sessions is if I turn the key to start but let go prior to the motor running the fuel solenoid will close then release, Im leading to the ignition switch given fiddling with the key it eventually keeps running, have a new switch just have to install it

in the event this dies not fix the issue I will install a momentary switch to the solenoid that will send 12volts to shut it down, just have to hold it for a few seconds

the seat switch modification was by previous owner, he sold this machine for parts and it was partially disassembled, said it would not start and blamed the starter motor, was tired of spending money on it, after putting it back together all I could find was the fuel line has a metal clip holding it to the underside, it was flattened I assume by jacking it up or sitting on blocks and the wire from ignition switch to solenoid was shorting to the frame, insulation rubbed thro.

this is a nice mower, I have a Jacobson with all the bells and whistles but this Groundsmaster is the cats ***, cuts good