Green Peppercorn Sauce

/ Green Peppercorn Sauce #1  

downsizingnow48

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
I make this for steak, pork chops, baked potatoes. There are complicated and detailed recipes, most involving wine. This one is simple. I don't give quantities because it really doesn't matter too much, just use what you think looks good for the people who are at the table.

Melt butter in frying pan and add some olive oil.

Shave some white onion into the pan, cook until soft, just a few minutes.

Shave some mushrooms into the pan, cook until soft. Not long.

I usually use green peppercorns in brine but they have not been available for some months now. Instead, I soak dried green peppercorns in warm water, they soften up quickly.

Put the green peppercorns in the pan and cook for a minute or so.

Now, turn the heat off and set the pan aside so everything can cool down.

When the steaks etc are ready, add sour cream to the pan of onions/mushrooms/peppercorns. Turn the heat back on. You have to be careful here, easy to get too much heat and curdle the sour cream, and then you have a mess.

With the sour cream in the pan and everything stirred together, warm up a bit and you are ready to go.

/ Green Peppercorn Sauce #2  
Very interesting. I have cooked and eaten a lot of steak, but have never tasted or even heard of this sauce. It strikes me right off as an excellent companion for a grilled pork chop. I't going on my "to try" list!

/ Green Peppercorn Sauce #3  
We just drain the pan the steak was cooked in, add cream and green peppercorns (and pink if we can find them) and reduce, will give yours a try though.