Mowing GR2110 with GCK54-GR deck and mulching kit clumping

/ GR2110 with GCK54-GR deck and mulching kit clumping #1  

OHMark

Tractor
Kubota GR2010
I just installed the mulching kit for the GCK54-GR deck which came with a set of mulch blades. I am having a problem where the grass is clumping and leaving a trail on what was the discharge side of the deck. I get a nice 3 inch wide pile of grass after each pass. Was this just a waste of money or has someone had similar problems and have a fix?

The kit did not come with any install guide so I had to wing it. There was a 6-8 inch deflector under the deck on the discharge side of the deck that I removed because the head of the bolt holding it on prevented the plastic mulch insert from fitting properly. I tried to force it a bit but it appeared as though it was not going to fit without serious force. Anyone see an install guide or know if this deflector is my problem?

TIA
Mark

/ GR2110 with GCK54-GR deck and mulching kit clumping #2  
I have a GR2120 and had the mulch kit installed by the dealer. Same problem. I finally gave up and removed the kit. Went with gator blades - which are a little better than the stock blades, but not much :(

IMHO what's missing is an adjustable side-discharge option on the mulch kit. My previous JD425 had just such a setup and I could set it to allow a little side discharge. That eliminated the discharge-side clump/stripe.

Wish I had better news,
Z.

/ GR2110 with GCK54-GR deck and mulching kit clumping
Thanks for the response Z. I am sorry to hear that someone else has the same problem, and on a newer model. If this is a design flaw as it appears, it should have been resolved before this. The deck is used on many models so I would think this is not an uncommon problem. On one of the forums there is a gent that swore by the mulch kit. I need to find that again and re-read.

I finally found a picture of the deck with the mulch kit installed and the deflector was removed as I did. What gets me is why does the grass pile up on the discharge side and not on both sides. The mulch kit basically makes the deck into 3 round cavities. I will mow again and take the deck off and see if there is something protruding or a gap which is gathering grass and causing the issue.

Attachments

• GR2020 Mulching Kit (resized).jpg
    GR2020 Mulching Kit (resized).jpg
    136 KB · Views: 1,430
   / GR2110 with GCK54-GR deck and mulching kit clumping #4  

GATOR® G6™ BLADE, 18-5/8"​

Part# 396-748
I've had the same issues with the kubota mulching kit and blades doing an uneven cut and leaving the windrow of cuttings. I swapped in the Gator blades and its given the best cut in 15 years of owning this over priced, poorly engineered pumpkin. Just sharing incase others are searching for improvements.