Ballast Got my weight box made!

/ Got my weight box made! #1  

MrJoe

Silver Member
Tractor
Case IH DX24E
Since my welder owed me a favor, I decided a weight box was in order. Went to his shop Sat. and picked thru the scrap pile for material. Found an I beam cut off, a pile of 3/8" plate, some 2&1'2' square tube and started up the band saw and shear. Now the parts are ready, he strikes up an arc /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
End result- I beam in it's side 20" long, web parallel to the ground. 3/8" plate welded to the flanges to form a top box 11" high. Square tube cut for the top link welded to the outside of the flange with holes in line with the 7/8" bar stock for the lower arms. Weld two chain hooks to the sides towards the front. Grind off the edges and corners, apply red paint - Viola /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Get it home, unload w/ the FEL (estimate it weighs #270 +- empty). The scrap weights I have been collecting from the local dump bring it up to #500 +- /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Yeay, I know it's heavy and I don't wanna move it without the FEL or 3 ph. but it's not like I carry it around w/ me. Cost? discount my free time and I have two hooks, 8" of 7/8" bar stock, some extra hitch pins - $25.00 /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Got my weight box made! #2  
Joe
Sounds like a great project. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
You got any pictures of that <font color="red"> RED </font> Weight Box. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Got my weight box made! #3  
I believe you can be arrested for describing a neat project like that and not providing a picture.

Cliff

/ Got my weight box made!
As soon as I get set up to post a pix, I will do so. I found only one mistake in measurement, that was with the top link cutout. Not enough distance from the center line of the link hole to the bottom of the opening. When I raised up the 3ph. all the way up I bent the adjusting nut on the link slightly /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Enough to berate myself for not thinking of everything. A few minutes work with a Sawsall opened the cutout so I have full unrestricted hight available. Live and learn.