Got a muffler!

/ Got a muffler! #1  

stoyan79

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3700SU, TYM 4820CH
Got a muffler in case my original muffler gets plugged, which I'm hearing happens a lot in cold temperature use.

Since tractor will be used primarily for snow removal, I like having a replacement, so I can still use tractor while original muffler is getting cleaned.

This is direct bolt on replacement for EA00006091A.

Attachments

• IMG_20230930_092612225.jpg
    IMG_20230930_092612225.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
   / Got a muffler! #2  
I don't live in snow removal climate, but am curious about this. I thought the tractor you bought has a DPF that needs to be run 1800 to PTO speed to keep it hot enough to avoid regen cycles. So despite this, the muffler can still clog in cold temperature use?

/ Got a muffler! #4  
I don't live in snow removal climate, but am curious about this. I thought the tractor you bought has a DPF that needs to be run 1800 to PTO speed to keep it hot enough to avoid regen cycles. So despite this, the muffler can still clog in cold temperature use?
I believe he meant the original DPF is kinda prone to clogging in cold climates.

This used to be more of an issue on the older system where it wasn't possible to do a regen process. The new system has an exhaust valve, this allows for a regen process to happen. The valve closes and increases the temperature on the DPF.

/ Got a muffler!
Please don't make me explain myself on public forum 🤣

/ Got a muffler! #7  
Short answer:

"Yes".

Long answer:

Exhaust Mod on my 3725

And it's not a "muffler" that's going to clog. It's a filter, specifically a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF).

/ Got a muffler! #9  
The biggest issue the cold will have is if you park your tractor somewhere that is not heated in winter.

Now, we are talking real cold here (-30F to -45F), and none of that fake @zz "wind chill" B.S.

When the filter you're trying to heat up with exhaust gases from the running engine must start out at an ambient air temp of -40F, it tends to collect a lot of particles in it long before it can reach operating temps of 800+ degrees.

Now, not many folks are crazy enough to live where it gets that cold. So "most" tractor owners won't have to deal with such things.

Some of us, however...

The new, redesigned emissions systems on the TYM's are designed to help there. They have a butterfly valve on the exhaust that can be closed (pressing a button) to allow the filter to build heat faster.