Glow control and conversion to manual operation?

/ Glow control and conversion to manual operation? #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
I put this in the All Other Brands forum just because I like to see traffic here, and this pertains to my Hurlimann Prince 435, but it's a reasonably generic application.

The auto-magic glow control that is supposed to be temperature compensating, NEVER activates the heaters long enough to start up the Mitsubishi 4 cylinder fitted.

It usually takes three or more activation cycles unless the air temperature is above 60 degrees F.

I'm considering rewiring the glow function to the key switch, there is a "CCW spring return to off" function on the switch.

At first blush, I figure a solenoid contactor of suitable amperage is about the only extra hardware required.

A cruise through the wiring scheme would make sure that the indicator light would go on with glow energization.

But....

Can you think of any gotchas in the idea?

I need to understand just how quickly the heaters might overheat. That is, the glow plugs performance characteristics.

Comments invited!

TIA

/ Glow control and conversion to manual operation? #2  
Just make sure the glow plugs are 12 volt. Not 8 or 6 volt. You kind of don't want the tip of the glow plug blowing off inside the engine. Where you find that information can be tough. If you have a good service manual it might be in there. Sometimes a parts book has that info in it. Good luck!

/ Glow control and conversion to manual operation?
   / Glow control and conversion to manual operation? #4  
Think our 220D was direct. You just turned on the key to the glow position and looked at the glow indicator (much like the ones in the engine) on the dash or just turned and counted (often to 30 seconds or even a minute).

The glow indicator (LCD) on the 4010 never worked, a defect on that model. It was very much like on the 240D, only requiring 4 to 6 seconds in cold weather. So, I'd just put key in "glow" position and count. Started every time.

Are you giving the tractor about 1/2 throttle when trying to start it cold? This is needed unless you glow a lot. That's what the 220D and 240D benzes needed, too.

Ralph

/ Glow control and conversion to manual operation? #5  
The NGK glow plugs on my Mitsubishi are 10.5 volt. I've found many others are as well. There is a kind of glow indicator which is a short coil of resistance wire in series with the glow plugs which drops the voltage and limits the current. A prior owner bypassed this device and subsequently the glow plug activation portion of my ignition switch failed. I have since procured a new glow indicator to replace the failed one and added a heavy toggle switch to activate the glow plugs. It is spring loaded to off. Things now seem to work as they should.