Gehl 1850 round baler problem

/ Gehl 1850 round baler problem #1  

fireman4074

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 231S
I have Gehl 1850 with TDC on it. I am having trouble getting the hay to start rolling once it start feeding into it. I have it at the right RPM. I have tried to adjust the gate roller and the bale starter roller to factory setting as mention in manual. I also tried to adjust the pressure on the TDC but still no help. I haven't looked to see if platform belt is turning while trying to get bale started. Is there anything that I can look at the see what problem come be.

/ Gehl 1850 round baler problem #2  
Is your hay super dry? Sometimes it won't stick to the belts enough to form a bale? Is your intake chute clogging due to the bale not forming?

/ Gehl 1850 round baler problem
Is your hay super dry? Sometimes it won't stick to the belts enough to form a bale? Is your intake chute clogging due to the bale not forming?
I guess it’s not super dry but I am in MS. I try bale it within 3-4 days. Do you mean the pickup part when u say intake chute? If so yes it clog up when trying to form bale. I also notice that packer roller have nice size gap between it and platform belt.

/ Gehl 1850 round baler problem
Another question of this baler, how do make adjustment to keep belts from moving side to side and twisting like in pic. I guess there’s no way to add video to this forum.

Attachments

• C8E8CDD6-5198-4DD5-858C-FF05FC4F87BA.jpeg
    C8E8CDD6-5198-4DD5-858C-FF05FC4F87BA.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 124
  • 45B4CFE9-72DB-4658-ABD9-6F63077C3D5D.jpeg
    45B4CFE9-72DB-4658-ABD9-6F63077C3D5D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 134
  • F65303DF-6F8E-46A0-9577-EDE316943CBC.jpeg
    F65303DF-6F8E-46A0-9577-EDE316943CBC.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 125
   / Gehl 1850 round baler problem #6  
You have belt tracking issues. Have you ever cleaned your steel rollers? Is there a gummy-dirty film on them?
Had similar issues with a NH round baler and that film build up was the problem

/ Gehl 1850 round baler problem #7  
I have Gehl 1850 with TDC on it. I am having trouble getting the hay to start rolling once it start feeding into it. I have it at the right RPM. I have tried to adjust the gate roller and the bale starter roller to factory setting as mention in manual. I also tried to adjust the pressure on the TDC but still no help. I haven't looked to see if platform belt is turning while trying to get bale started. Is there anything that I can look at the see what problem come be.
I also have that baler with the same problem. Try reducing the PTO speed to about half throttle while starting a bale. once it goes into the big chamber, resume to full throttle. That helped me considerably. Good luck !!

/ Gehl 1850 round baler problem #8  
+ 1 0n reducing the pto rpm to start a bale. Not a clue what a TDC is, but belts off tracking are a result of rolling barrel shaped bales. Both my old NH and my new Kubota baler have continuous bale shape monitors built into the in cab digital readout.

/ Gehl 1850 round baler problem #9  
You have belt tracking issues. Have you ever cleaned your steel rollers? Is there a gummy-dirty film on them?
Had similar issues with a NH round baler and that film build up was the problem
On a NH bailer the scraper clearance is critical to keeping the steel rollers clean.

He's been running too many barrel shaped bales.