Oil & Fuel Fuel Sender Unit all rusted up

/ Fuel Sender Unit all rusted up #1  

Korishan

Tractor
TC40D
Was having problems with getting fuel to the engine. Back tracing found out that the fuel gauge sender unit had rusted all up and rust flakes were clogging the inlet line.

I know we need a new fuel sender. Problem is, the OEM one costs almost $200 from Messicks (part #86558072). It's a super simple pickup. Just a floater with resistor voltage dividers to make the dash gauge read correctly.

Question is, does anyone know of a cheap replacement for these sending units? $200 is ridiculous and highway robbery. Is there are a comparable automotive grade sending unit that would work just as well?

Thanks

/ Fuel Sender Unit all rusted up #2  
Do you really NEED a new sender or can that one be cleaned? Does the float still float? If not you can replace just the float.

/ Fuel Sender Unit all rusted up
the whole thing is rusted. The float takes force to move. I suppose I could take a wire wheel to it and see if it'll be returned to functional. Altho, how do I keep it from rusting up in the future?

Side note, I have not tested to see if it still makes the dash gauge change by changing the position of the float. I'll do that tomorrow afternoon.

/ Fuel Sender Unit all rusted up #4  
if you don't use the tractor very much use what the old timers used.. a unpainted stick what stays wet is the amount you have in the tank

/ Fuel Sender Unit all rusted up
LOL yeah, we've kinda been doin that anyways considering we didn't know why the gauge didn't work. Was always a good backup tool.