Ballast Front axle outer seal leaks

/ Front axle outer seal leaks #1  

wrede

Bronze Member
Tractor
2001 J. Deere 4300
I just finished putting new seals in my 4300 front axles, which started leaking a few weeks ago, first the right, and now the left(2001 tractor with 593 hours). The dealer service manager told me that if I don't use the proper level of ballast to counteract the front loader weight, they will fail again. I find this hard to believe. The front axle bearings are loaded, but not the seals. The bearings are quite rugged and the centerlines are probably close to 4" apart along the axle, and the fits are quite tight. The axle seal is on the heaviest/outer part of the axle, and right next to the outer bearing. There can't be enough deflection to do anything to the seals, which are rubber anyway. The new design seal, as previously reported, is a two piece design, and the inner seal is a tight fit on the axle shaft. The oil seal is between the two concentric seal "halves", with the outer seal glued into the housing, and inner piece very tight on the axle. Any comments on this?

/ Front axle outer seal leaks #2  
Perhaps the higher load on the bearings generates more heat, and that's what shortens the seal life.

/ Front axle outer seal leaks #3  
I find it hard to believe too. I would tend to believe the lack of venting (discussed on TBN before) is more likely the problem. Heat is generated, and with no vent (I leave the dip stick a bit loose) the oil pushes out at the seal.
I have used my 4300 a lot with loads in the bucket and on the forks, and have about the same hours. No leaks yet (knock on wood).
I'm looking to change them out sometime, and am encouraged that there is expert help on TBN when I need to do it.
Sounds like yours were not hard to change.

/ Front axle outer seal leaks
As explained in a previous thread, mine has the version (newer, I think) with a snap ring securing the axle assembly. The bearing/gear stackup is pressed together, which is what holds it together. You'll need a hydraulic press to get it apart and put it back together. The gear is splined, probably tapered, and so it's rather tight. The right axle seal surface was perfectly clean upon disassembly. The left axle was a little worn and corroded over the outer half of the sealing surface, suggesting something got in there to wear it down. The two piece seal wouldn't be affected by foreign matter, at least not on the axle surface.

I checked the potential pressure buildup, and would estimate maybe a 10% difference from about 60F to 100F, and so I suppose it could affect the seals. The new seals are two piece, with a tight fit to the axle, and so I doubt they would be affected as much. I'm going to loosen the dipstick anyway.