Ford 4000 issue with steering column.

/ Ford 4000 issue with steering column. #11  
Do you have any pics of this filter you changed? Where it's located, etc.? My owner's manual says to contact my dealer to change the power steering oil and filter. Any help will be appreciated.

My 3910 steers hard when I first crank it. Seems the oil has to warm before it steers better. It's always steered a bit "slow" but I attribute that to being FWD. Thanks again for any advice.

/ Ford 4000 issue with steering column.
Hi ovrszd....

The power steering reservoir tank on my 1973 Ford 4000 SU is located on the left side just in front of the screw-on engine oil filter and it has a filler cap a little over an inch across like a small radiator cap.

You may be just low on fluid. I am not sure what type to put in. The recommended original product for mine is no longer available.

I changed my own filter and it took about two hours. I could now do it in an hour....but.....my industrial loader frame is in the way and I had to remove the engine oil filter to give myself more room.

There are several filters available for the pump....they are apparently all substitutes for the original part...??

Mine steered a little hard after replacing the filter until I topped off the reservoir. You shouldn't have to bleed it...it purges the air with use.

Check youtube for a video on changing the filter....it's quite helpful.

Take care,

John

Oh Oh!!!

My steering column issue is back on my Ford 4000.

On startup, it drools a teaspoon of power steering fluid. And, after a bit of use it may drool a bit more.

I changed the filter but it didn't help much.

I wonder if draining all the fluid and starting with fresh and a new filter would help? Or, using a different fluid?

Why does it drool on startup?

Where is the best place to drain as much fluid as possible?

Would it be foolhardy to not use a filter?

Take care,

John

Hi all......

It appears that using ATF has solved my issue for the moment. I added Automatic Transmission Fluid to the power steering reservoir and changed the filter and it eventually stopped drooling at the steering column.

I believe that I have "topped off" the reservoir with a total of about 2 quarts of ATF. So, it's o.k. for the time being.

Take care,

John

/ Ford 4000 issue with steering column. #15  
John,
Weeping out of the top seal of the power steering box seems to be an almost universal issue with our Fords. Running ATF in the system seems to help - at least for a few years. Eventually the seal wears a groove in the shaft so a new seal won't fix it by itself. Apparently there is a special kit for repairing that issue. I haven't tried it on mine because it has other issues to go along with the leaking seal. So far I've done what most people seem to do: top it off regularly and put up with the leak.

Hi...
When it leaked initially, I saw a bit of red....I should have taken the hint. But, I followed some advice and put in a cup or two of 303 from TSC. It kept leaking a teaspoon more or less per half hour. I kept a small towel under the steering column in front of the shifting levers.
After changing the filter a second time, I decided to use ATF and see if a lighter oil would help. 2 quarts. It has.....so far!!!
What a delight to run my 3 pt hitch snowblower with power steering and no leaking.
Soooooo.....maybe the drama is over for awhile.

Good luck,
John

/ Ford 4000 issue with steering column. #17  
As I read, ATF is said to contain seal softeners among other things.

I find ebay full of PS filters for Fords and the Orings for the bolt and housing. They also have caps for the pump fill port which stop drooling from there on older machines where the rubber insert is worn out.

Hi Texasmark.....
I recall reading that about the seal softeners in ATF. The kits for the seals are $100 or so but the labor costs to replace the one in the bottom of the steering column runs $500 or more. It sounded like more than I could tackle doing it myself. My tractor guru said, "Have a big workbench.....there are lots of parts".......
I have been fortunate since using ATF and have not had drooling at the column or elsewhere. I'm convinced that the previous owner was using ATF because of the reddish color when it drooled. I believe that ATF is similar to Dextrol maybe. Have you seen the youtube video where the guy drilled a hole in the column and suspends a recovery container much like collecting maple sap here in Vermont?
Take care, John