Oil & Fuel Ford 3910 No Start, Fuel System, Bleesing Procedure Needed

/ Ford 3910 No Start, Fuel System, Bleesing Procedure Needed #1  

KBoy420

Tractor
Ford 3910
Hi all,

Inherited a Ford 3910. Having a lot of trouble starting it. Had fresh fuel and cranks strong, just will not start. Seems to be a fuel delivery issue - can keep it running with a few squirts of starter fluid (I know, I know). It appears to have an aftermarket fuel injector installed and I'm just not familiar with bleeding these. Complicating things greatly is that a front end loader is installed so i cant really get to the injectors on the head.

Can anyone help me get this running? Thanks!

I have a pic of the fuel I jector but cannot post it until I get to 3 posts.

/ Ford 3910 No Start, Fuel System, Bleesing Procedure Needed #3  
Welcome to TBN.

Hopefully the link Kirk posted will help you. If not, let us know and we'll keep trying to get you the right information.

/ Ford 3910 No Start, Fuel System, Bleesing Procedure Needed
Hi again. Thanks for the welcome and help so far. No luck, unfortunately.

So to recap, starter turning but engine won't start. Believe it is fuel delivery related cause I can get it "running" with starter fluid, but dies as soon as that burns off.

I've followed the bleeding procedure best I could. I cracked the filter and turned over. Steady fuel dripping out and tightened it. Then opened injector bleeder and turned over, steady fuel spraying out, replaced screw. Still no start.

I have a loaded attached so I have no clearance to swing the battery tray to get to the injectors at the head. Unsure if I should try to get the loader off just so I can work and make sure it runs correct every time, but looking at this loader I'm really not sure how it even comes off, or if I'll even be able to without hydraulics.

Any tips on troubleshooting this further? Thanks guys.

/ Ford 3910 No Start, Fuel System, Bleesing Procedure Needed #5  
If you have another tractor hook you loader hydraulics to it and use the other machine to power your loader off.
If it is a Ford 7209 Loader there is a big bolt at the bottom of the upright supports in the rear that you take out, a hinged flap swings down, and you walk the loader off the frame with hydraulic power while backing the tractor up (you back the tractor up if the loader is going to be pushing against something that will make it easier to hook back up).

Loosen the lines from the pump going to the injectors and see if the pump is even pumping fuel. Is it possible your fuel cutoff isn't fully disengaging on top of the pump?

/ Ford 3910 No Start, Fuel System, Bleesing Procedure Needed #6  
Yes, if u cant get to the injector lines.. remove a line or 2 OFF THE PUMP.. no need to remove or loosen ALL of them.. your just trying to see if the pump is pumping..
IF YES it is pumping.. u could use the starting fluid to keep the engine running long enough to raise the bucket..??
OR use another machine to do it..
You'll probably need 2 people for that tho.. 1 to work the running machine & 1 to operate the bucket UP lever.. just so u dont blow any lines..
Good luck..

/ Ford 3910 No Start, Fuel System, Bleesing Procedure Needed #7  
If he can keep the engine running with minimal use of starting fluid, will it eventually push the air out of the injectors? Or do they still need to be bled?

/ Ford 3910 No Start, Fuel System, Bleesing Procedure Needed #8  
If you get the loader lifted like others have mentioned, try tow starting if you can’t get it bled.

The 3910 is a tricky one to bleed.

Good luck.

/ Ford 3910 No Start, Fuel System, Bleesing Procedure Needed #9  
Yes, if u cant get to the injector lines.. remove a line or 2 OFF THE PUMP.. no need to remove or loosen ALL of them.. your just trying to see if the pump is pumping..
IF YES it is pumping.. u could use the starting fluid to keep the engine running long enough to raise the bucket..??
OR use another machine to do it..
You'll probably need 2 people for that tho.. 1 to work the running machine & 1 to operate the bucket UP lever.. just so u dont blow any lines..
Good luck..

It's not the loader itself that needs to be moved it is the frame of the loader that doesn't move and is in the way of swinging the battery out to get to the injectors.

I don't recommend ether in this tractor anymore than you absolutely have to, its hard on engines as is and these really don't do well with it.

On another note you might be able to get to the injectors by removing the muffler and hood and going in from the manifold side of the block, I've never looked to see if you can get to the injectors that are under the battery from the other side or not.