Oil & Fuel FORD 3610 cold start

/ FORD 3610 cold start #1  

beggar

Bronze Member
Tractor
farmtra555-case1494-kubota M4050-F4610-MF285
I got a 1987 Ford 3610 that has to crank a long time when it's cold but cranks right up the rest of the day after that. I just had the injectors rebuilt. It runs like a champ after starting .
It's got clean exhaust no blue smoke. I can give it a little shot of starting fluid and it cranks right up but it don't like doing that. We recently moved the timing just a little and it runs
a little better after that. Bottom line is it is just fine except for the hard cold start. Any comments appreciated.
Thanks for looking Beggar

/ FORD 3610 cold start #2  
If you have the diesel model you might consider checking the glow plugs. They could have failed. You might also ensure they're getting power through their switch, controller, or whatever other circuitry may be involved. Glow plugs do not come on automatically with all tractors. You may have to manually energize them. The most common means is probably turning the ignition switch to the left for a few seconds (maybe ten to thirty or more) to warm things a bit before turning the key to the right to engage the starter.

/ FORD 3610 cold start #3  
No glow plugs on a 3610.
They did have a cold start feature called Thermo Start which was a heater in the intake manifold that dribbled a little diesel into the intake manifold and caused a fire in there which heated the intake air. But no glow plugs.

/ FORD 3610 cold start #4  
Having the injectors rebuilt/checked is a good start..{no pun intended}
Do u KNOW for a fact that the "thermo-start" in the intake works.??
its located right where the rubber intake hose ends & the alum. intake manifold begins, thats IF u have that option..??
U probably have either a fuel bleed-back issue.. where the fuel bleeds back to the fuel tank after u shut it down for an extended period of time, usually caused by bad valves in the supply pump..{if equiped}
OR the main pumping unit is worn the the point that it wont produce enough fuel at starting, to start the engine...{diesel version}

/ FORD 3610 cold start #5  
Interesting situation. I've never seen one of those old Ford 3-cylinders that was hard to start, hot or cold. The only time my 2600 was hard to start was when I ran it out of fuel, and it had air in the fuel system.

Have you checked the air and fuel filters?

/ FORD 3610 cold start #6  
. . . U probably have either a fuel bleed-back issue.. where the fuel bleeds back to the fuel tank after u shut it down for an extended period of time, usually caused by bad valves in the supply pump..
Not on this tractor. The fuel tank is right under the hood, and above the injector pump

/ FORD 3610 cold start
Not on this tractor. The fuel tank is right under the hood, and above the injector pump

I am gonna look at the thermo-start, can you check it with a volt meter. we'll figure it out I guess when we go look at it.
Thanks to you and the rest of you guys for your advice.
Beggar

/ FORD 3610 cold start #8  
Yes u can..
Just test the spade for power while turning the key switch either to the left.. or.. the spot right before the starter kicks in.. & hold it.
U can remove the rubber intake hose & LOOK inside the manifold to SEE if u get a flame/small fire inorder to tell if your getting fuel THRU the mechanism.
When the mechanism is bad, it'll either stick closed{no fuel} or open & dribble fuel all the time.. in which case you'll have a heavy smoke issue..
Good luck.

/ FORD 3610 cold start #9  
You never state the hours. Have you performed a compression test?