ford 3000 air filter

/ ford 3000 air filter #1  

jakennon74

Tractor
Ford 3000
How do I know when to change the oil in the air filter

/ ford 3000 air filter #2  
Once a year under normal conditions. To check how soon it may need to be done is look at the bowl that the oil is in and see how deep the layer of dirt is. Pretty much a judgement, but you can tell

/ ford 3000 air filter #3  
During the summer when it's dusty and I use it the most, I change the JD 420C intake oil bath about every month. It's easy to check with the thumb screw clamp.

/ ford 3000 air filter #4  
Clean and change every time you change the engine oil and you will be good unless you are operating in a dust bowl.

/ ford 3000 air filter #5  
How do I know when to change the oil in the air filter
The owner's manual says to do it every 600 hours. Dump the old oil, clean the filter with fresh gasoline or a solvent, reassemble, install and add fresh oil to the fill line inside the cup.

/ ford 3000 air filter #6  
The owner's manual says to do it every 600 hours. Dump the old oil, clean the filter with fresh gasoline or a solvent, reassemble, install and add fresh oil to the fill line inside the cup.
That is great to see the owner's manual guidance, but 600 hours on an old tractor is a lifetime. It also depends upon the working conditions on any filter, oil bath or dry as to when to service the filter.

/ ford 3000 air filter #7  
That is great to see the owner's manual guidance, but 600 hours on an old tractor is a lifetime. It also depends upon the working conditions on any filter, oil bath or dry as to when to service the filter.
The question was specifically aimed at the oil bath cleaner. Many are still using antique Fords to do real work every day, so 600 hours in a year is not an impossibility. Given that we weren't given that info, starting with guidance from the manufacturer seems helpful until someone can offer a more constructive reply to the original poster.

/ ford 3000 air filter #8  
The question was specifically aimed at the oil bath cleaner. Many are still using antique Fords to do real work every day, so 600 hours in a year is not an impossibility. Given that we weren't given that info, starting with guidance from the manufacturer seems helpful until someone can offer a more constructive reply to the original poster.
Agree. Just showing that manual guidance is a very basic baseline and oil bath or dry filter, you need to be aware of how much this  may affect the service.

/ ford 3000 air filter #9  
Agree. Just showing that manual guidance is a very basic baseline.
How would you augment that basic baseline with helpful info for the original poster?

/ ford 3000 air filter #10  
How would you augment that basic baseline with helpful info for the original poster?
If I were in this position of not having any knowledge about a tractor like this, even with all of the input here, which is quite helpful, I would look at the oil bath once a month to see how much dirt is accumulating in the bowl, if I were going to use it on a daily basis. This would also give me the comfort of knowing that it is working properly and that there was enough oil to do the job.

If I used it occasionally, I would change it once a year as the amount of oil used is minimal. An air filter is probably the most important component on a diesel engine and has the most variables that cannot be covered with just a blanket statement. This is true on new tractors too. On tractors with dry air filters, there is sometimes an idiot light that is supposed to light when the filter needs servicing. I have seen engines that were dusted before this happened.
John0829 mentioned every time you change the oil. That would be good too. The point is, I have not seen many air filter systems go the distance that the OM said it would.