Buying Advice Ford 1710?

/ Ford 1710? #1  

robertwhite

Silver Member
Looked on T-House and the price seems to be pretty reasonable but I would like to hear from actual owners how well these tractors run and hold up.

Guy has a Ford 1710, mid '80's, 2000hrs.

Condition is VG, well taken care of, no service records, 2WD, turf tires and comes with finish mower & bush hog. Claims to have been only used for mowing.

Tractor will only be used for mowing (approx. 10AC crappy lawn, 5 AC fields).

This will be a stop gap for a while until I can get a newer 4WD set up. I will also get a used TLB for general use, so no worries there.

Thoughts or experiences?

Last edited:
   / Ford 1710? #2  
The 1710 was a popular model in the early- to-mid 80's. There are two things I would be most concerned about when looking at this tractor. First, check whether the unit has power steering (it was rare for a 2WD 1710 to be so equipped as I recall). The other thing to inspect is whether or not the tractor has a two-stage clutch. affording you with live PTO. The 2WD units were often ordered without both options in order to be price competitive with Kubota, which by that time had already made huge inroads in North America. Either way it would probably serve your purposes.

/ Ford 1710? #3  
I have a '79 1700 4WD with 770 FEL, R1's and 1260+ hours.
I have had it 12+ years and have had minimal problems with it except for the front axle(complete rebuild). Recently I have replaced the key switch and clutch switch and had radiator rebult but then the tractor is 30 years old. Still starts fine in winter with no preheat,. I use it for snow removal and mowing and occasional projects with the FEL. I have no idea how many hours the engine should run.

/ Ford 1710? #4  
Second owner of a '84 1710 putting the last 400 hours on this 1600hr tractor. The unit has never had an easy life although maintenance has always been done. While it was a commercial operation prior to me, it's now used hard where many people whould feel more comfortable with a larger tractor.

Never has any failures with the exception of the water pump, which honestly was my fault for not using the correct antifreeze.

/ Ford 1710? #5  
You forgot to mention price. Everything I look at was gently used by an older gentleman who only run it on sunny days. Its good salesmanship sometimes not a whole lot of truth. That twenty five plus year old machine could have had many owners with various cobbled repairs. If it runs good and under a grand it may work out fine. Very limited buyers for this optioned machine ......because the paint is shiney don't go over board on price.
Don't forget to check on availability of repair parts. It seems everyone will tell you they are available til you need something ( engine - trans- axle ) then the hunt begans with used parts triple the cost of new because no one has them new.
Your call, your money. I wouldn't waste the effort. I would get a 4x4 now and enjoy what you really want. My 2 cents knowing what old ford scrap prices are.

/ Ford 1710? #6  
I have a 1720 4x4 and am very happy with it. I have mostly flat land but it is wet and has clay and the four wheel drive gets me out of a lot of problems. The only thing I would caution against is it's light weight. I don't have loaded tires and have had problems pulling a box blade with just the back tires and also pushing into a pile of material with the front end loader with only the rear wheels. Otherwise, I very pleased with the power and capabilities for mowing/brushhogging and light loader work. The 7803 loader does not handle much weight, especially if the material is wet, I can't pick up a full bucket. Hoep this helps.

/ Ford 1710? #7  
as i mentioned in another post, the 1710 i saw at an auction yesterday, 4wd an fel: went for about $6k...
heehaw