Flail and HP needed to run.

/ Flail and HP needed to run. #11  
I have a Besto HD flail 7ft that has been performing well. My tractor is 52 hp.
Sounds like 4ft would fit your tractor best.

/ Flail and HP needed to run. #12  
I have been looking at flails and obviously want one that is wider (working width)than the tractor. Betstco is the brand. I’ve talked to the sale people there and their word contradicts what the websites literature says. They said the 48” would be too big for my 25hp engine tractor, but in the manual (pictured below) clearly states,
“If your tractor is gear transmisson this Is PTO Horsepower. If it is hydro this is engine Horsepower.”
I have a LS MT225s hydro.
Would you get the EFGC155(60”)?

If you have not made your mind up already I suggest that you buy the 36 inch cut model only.
The 5 horsepower per foot recommendations offered by some is nothing but a guide.

Your hydrostatic drive tractor consumes a great deal of power and a PTO powered implement
will drain it of more power reducing the torque available to power an implement.

A flail mower/flail shredder works best with the 2,200 Revolutions Per Minute operating speed.

The slower you travel forward the better the flail mower will work if it has the side slicer blades
as the side slicer blades will cut and recut the material and also allow you to go back over the
cut GREEN brush and grass to recut it a second time as the side slicer blades create greater lift.

You have to remember that the flail mower is belt driven and the V belt drive system is what provides
the speed needed for the flail mower rotor to spin up to 2,200+ RPM to finely slice the brush and grass.

In order to mow well and beat back invasive plants like poison oak, poison ivy and poison sumak the
brush should be mowed every 2 weeks and left at a 2 inch height.

/ Flail and HP needed to run. #14  
I run a 700# Woodmaxx 62" flail mower on a BX2200. 22 Engine HP, and I think like 15.5 HP to the PTO.

It runs it very well, and I've cut a 6 acre field of 4' tall grasses with the roller at the top position and the rear flap open. Y-Grass Knives. NO issues. Just used low gear the entire time, sat back and spent a couple hours listening to tunes and some talk shows on SIRIUSXM.

The fellow who asked me to do it was very impressed and bought a nice little Kubota for himself, but with a finish mower and got a bush hog for half price.

I've also mowed my 8 acre yard with the roller set at it's lowest cut position, rear door closed, running in high gear. Mows it better than a finishing mower. Can turn my yard into a baseball striped field.

/ Flail and HP needed to run. #15  
My L2501 easily turns a 60 inch flail, but like others have said, the grass you are mowing can make a difference. My setup can mow very tall grass, 4ft or taller but I need to mow slower, shorter can mow faster. for my grasses and the other places I mow, could not be happier..Rear tires are loaded, mower is same width as the tires, mower has side shift option as well.

Attachments

• tractor.JPG
    tractor.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 38
   / Flail and HP needed to run. #16  
Have a 52 flail with y blades on a 22 hp machine and never had a problem

/ Flail and HP needed to run. #17  
Irun a 4.5 ft on 26 hp mahindra no problem running. Have to slow for tall or thick grass.
Weight wise if I'm going uphill and lift mower front tires get really light so be careful

/ Flail and HP needed to run.
Thanks for all the information!
I decided to go with the Betstco EFGC125 with hydraulic offset. I decided on the 49” because I didn’t want the implement to be way to big for going through heavy grass/brush, plus I get the offset to get closer to fences, buildings, etc. I will definitely report back with how my tractor handles it. Thanks again fellas!

/ Flail and HP needed to run. #19  
My L2501 easily turns a 60 inch flail, but like others have said, the grass you are mowing can make a difference. My setup can mow very tall grass, 4ft or taller but I need to mow slower, shorter can mow faster. for my grasses and the other places I mow, could not be happier..Rear tires are loaded, mower is same width as the tires, mower has side shift option as well.
That's the same mower I got, but without the hydraulic side shift.

I love my Woodmaxx.

/ Flail and HP needed to run. #20  
They are great mowers.