Fixing oil leak at valve cover gasket on 4500z

/ Fixing oil leak at valve cover gasket on 4500z #1  

phunter

Tractor
john deere 4410
My sad passed away before he could help direct me through this job. We were supposed to get it done soon but God called him to Heaven.
I read the post about removing the coil bracket and prying up the cover. Does the hood need to come off? How does one clean the residue of the remaining gasket. Does one put something on to hold the new gasket in place.
Hoping someone could give me a step by step on this job.

Thanks in advance.

/ Fixing oil leak at valve cover gasket on 4500z #2  
I'm sorry your father passed away.

This job is not easy, there are a lot of small details that a mechanic deals with in doing this type of job. The 4500z has the WG972-GL Kubota engine.

The Operators manual has some great information as well as the Workshop manual. See page 118 of the workshop manual in particular.

I've not done this specific job, but I'm pretty sure the hood should come off just for the access.

If you aren't very familiar with working on engines, I would strongly suggest you let someone else do it or get someone who is experienced help you in person, just this time anyway. I'm positive your father would understand and agree.

/ Fixing oil leak at valve cover gasket on 4500z #3  
It really should not be as difficult as it is; but this is one design feature where the Ventrac designers blew it. That stupid coil bracket "almost" allows us to remove the valve cover, but so far as I can tell not quite. I do not know of a video where this is demonstrated; although I did suggest this to BlueCord quite some time ago and he mentioned he would possible consider presenting a valve adjustment video. I am not a video or photo taker, just a talent I do not have. When I do mine, eventually, I may modify that bracket or adding some spacers to allow the cover to be removed without the bracket coming off. Phunter; can you provide a link to the post about removing the bracket?

Rooster

/ Fixing oil leak at valve cover gasket on 4500z #4  
I found it and noticed I had read it before. Good description.

prs

/ Fixing oil leak at valve cover gasket on 4500z #5  
Well; eventually was today. It is not difficult, but it does take time working alone. I am experienced in such jobs. I did other things too, that slowed the job such as setting the valves and repacking the PTO pully bearings. I removed the hood and the muffler cover. There are different muffler covers, mine is an upgraded one made of just metal and not fabric. When removing the hood, I put a phillips screwdriver shaft through a bolt hole on each side to support the hood until I was ready to lift. And, repeated that strategy on assembly. With the hood and muffler cover off, the bolts for that pesky igniton bracket are in plain sight. I removed the top half first and then the bottom part of the bracket. The valve cover then lifted right off. The exhaust side of the gasket was COOKED! The old gasket was NOT glued in, it is a press fit. I cleaned the gasket channel with a small flat blade screw driver by scraping gently, then by using a cloth alcohol soaked patch on that little screw driver -- get it totally CLEAN. The new gasket has a wedge shape that is tedius to press into the channel, but keep pressing with fingers and it does bottom out all the way around, needing no adhesive. I had to clean the head's mating surfaces too with the screwdriver and alcohol patches; get it totally clean. DO tighten the manifold bolts, mine were loose and thus the gasket cooked. If you have not had experience with valve adjustments, then do NOT attempt it with this expensive machine unless you have an experienced helper. It is not difficult if you know how; at about 1,000 hours on the meter, mine only had one tight valve, but I set all to center spec. It really helps to keep the bolts organzied in a muffin pan or fishing tackle tray.