First snowfall

/ First snowfall #1  

MrJoe

Silver Member
Tractor
Case IH DX24E
Well, it finally happened. We got 4" of powder here in SW Conn. on Monday. Had the day off anyway so I waited till it warmed up to 10F. before going to start 'er up. I had not plugged in the block heater the night before but no problem, fired right up.
Spent a few minutes getting the hang of how far down to set the snowblower and away we go! Of course the snow was blowing back at me like some Artic nightmare /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif but the driveway was cleared in no time. Never even got it into 4wd, went right up and down the drive like it was summertime. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Joe

/ First snowfall #2  
Your first snowfall and you waited till all 4" were on the ground before going out to try the new snowblower? You should have at least gone out once the first 2" had piled up, and then gone out again after the final 2" came down. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Every first snowstorm with a new tractor should always be worked on at least twice, no matter how much snow you get. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Of course, I was lucky, we got 9-10" our first storm, so I got to clear the driveway twice with a fairly decent amount each time. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ First snowfall #3  
While trying to decide which tractor to buy......we got hammered with 24" of snow this past week! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I had to borrow a bobcat from a friend to clear our road!

I'm not sure that any compact could have handled that kind of snow anyhow. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ First snowfall #4  
"I'm not sure that any compact could have handled that kind of snow anyhow."
I live in the same area, and my compact did the job. It was slow. I had 5 hours clearing 700 ft of rock drive and a large rock parking area. Good practice, but where I live we had only 18 in.