Mowing finish mower

/ finish mower #1  

mom_dad42

Hello everyone from the old club and to new friends at TBN.
I am going to look at a 5ft. woods finish mower RM59 model and was wondering when it was made. Any info would be helpful. Is this a good mower? Thanks again Russell. BTW
is it worth 300.00.

/ finish mower #2  
Russel,
I have a RM59. There were RM59,RM59-2 and RM59-3. I don't know what the differences were. The latest revision of the RM59 manual was 1981. Mine seems to be well built and cuts well. I use it to cut the farm lane and meadows. I don't know if I would use it on the lawns. My mower is pretty ugly and needs to be painted. I had to replace the bearings in the three idler pulleys. Woods parts are readily available. I paid $350 for mine. If the one you are looking at is working and isn't to rough $300 doesn't seem to bad to me.

Chris

/ finish mower
Thanks for the info Chris. What would stop you from cutting the lawn. I am going to look at it this afternoon,will let you know what happens. Thanks again Russell.

/ finish mower #4  
We use a JD F525 48" frontmower for the lawns. We replaced a IH 184 with a 60" deck with the JD and it gets the lawn done in the same time as the tractor because it is more manuverable. Of course I try to keep the Yanmar with its ag tires off the lawns. I think the narrower mower does a better job. When the grass is growing I usually bag the clippings. Really there should be no reason not to use the RM59 on finish lawns. The hight deck is a lot easier to adjust on the JD.

Chris

/ finish mower
Chris, after reading your replies, Iwent and looked at the woods finish mower and the tires on my tractor and decided against buying it to mow the lawn. I have a hard enough time trying to get good grass to grow and an easier time killing it. Thanks again Russell.