Snow Attachments FEL Modification for snow removal on gravel drivew

/ FEL Modification for snow removal on gravel drivew #1  

Malibu

Tractor
Kubota B7500
Should be nearly summer here, but we just got about 8" of snow. Tried using the new tractor and loader to clear the drive and managed to take a fair amount of gravel up along with the snow.

Heard about mounting a piece of pipe in front of the leading edge of the FEL to minimize this (sort of like a tooth bar in reverse) cutting.

Any help on the effectiveness of this and or details on how it is done.

Thanks
Malibu

/ FEL Modification for snow removal on gravel drivew #2  
When I plow on gravel with my truck I install the shoes. It is basically the same thing if I understand the concept you describe. You will end up with a layer of snow (same thickness as the pipe OD) and a skid mark for each piece pipe that spaces the FEL bucket off the surface.

this will work well on reasonably packed gravel

/ FEL Modification for snow removal on gravel drivew #3  
8" in may. You poor guy... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ FEL Modification for snow removal on gravel drivew #4  
I normally use the back blade to plow, but when I need to use the loader, I curl the bucket up slightly (an inch or so is good), then drop it down and in float (mostly). That picks up the majority of the snow, yet doesn't pick up the gravel.
You'll have to experiment a bit, but I think that technique will work for you...

Of course, don't forget dragging the snow back with the cutting edge of the bucket works very well too. Just curl the bucket so the bottom is almost 90° to the ground (actually, 75° to 85° works better), then put 'er in float and pull the snow back.

/ FEL Modification for snow removal on gravel drivew #5  
When its 'summer' and it snows, I just let it melt in place. In the fall, when the drive is not frozen, I just let it melt in place.

In addition, I wouldn't use a FEL bucket to remove the snow regardless of the time of year. Too inefficient, IMO. Now all don't agree, and that is fine with me. We don't have to all agree here. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ FEL Modification for snow removal on gravel drivew
that is what I did, snow was wet and heavy and kept building up under tractor until wheel spin. Still scraped up some gravel.

Yaaaaa

three days later and it is still here. Oh well only two more weeks till June.

the idea I saw on another board was this : /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Attachments

• 426343-Snow Edge copy.jpg
    426343-Snow Edge copy.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 277
   / FEL Modification for snow removal on gravel drivew #9  
Malibu,
The pipe is split to fit over the cutting edge. I hear that it works very very well. The pipe lets the point of the blade slide over imperfections in the pavement and or gravel.