Farmtrac 45 Mico PES3A Injection Pump

/ Farmtrac 45 Mico PES3A Injection Pump #1  

CousinIt

Tractor
Farmtrac 45
I checked the oil level in the Mico PES3A pump on my Farmtrac 45 the other day and it appeared to be low (in relation to the overflow line location). I added oil via the fill plug on the top of the pump but it never ran out of the overflow. I started the Tractor after adding oil to the pump and then checked the level again. Upon checking the oil level in the pump it appeared to be lower than before I started the Tractor. I later checked the engine oil and noted that it was above the full line. I had checked the engine oil level BEFORE I added oil to the injection pump and it was right at the full mark. My questions is, does anyone know if there is a potential leak path from the injection pump back into the engine that would explain the loss of oil in the pump and the higher level I saw in the engine oil? Thanks for any help you can offer.

/ Farmtrac 45 Mico PES3A Injection Pump #2  
Where did u add oil..
There’s a large plug on top of the governor..
and the FULL PLUG is either by the supply pump (10mm)
OR on the back of the gov. on a plate..
If u added oil at the big plug, the oil takes about 10 minutes to actually reach the full plug by the supply pump..it has to go thru a set of bearings before it reaches the plug..
Now if u checked it at the gov cover.. it will show full until it makes it thru the bearings and into the main hsg. where the cam lives..
THEN IT WILL SHOW LOW..
The BEST thing to do is, dump a 1/2 qt. of oil in it, wait 10 minutes (smoke a cigarette) and don’t worry about it..there’s an overflow pipe on the back of the main hsg...
Start the engine and run it..
any excess oil will drain out the overflow tube..
Good luck and happy tractoring..

/ Farmtrac 45 Mico PES3A Injection Pump
Thanks for the quick reply. I added the oil through the large plug on the top of the governor. I started by adding 1/2 qt and when I looked through the fill plug on the governor I couldn't see any oil at the bottom of the governor and nothing was running out of the overflow tube. I was out of oil at that point, so I ran to the local equipment supply store and grabbed another quart. Round trip took around 15 minutes and when I got back there was no oil running out of the overflow line. When I got back I started the tractor and let it run for a few minutes then checked the oil level through the governor fill plug again and it still appeared low so I added another 1/2 qt. but it never ran out of the overflow line. After that I checked the engine oil level and it was above the full line. Is there a leak path from the FIP to the crankcase that would allow that to happen?

/ Farmtrac 45 Mico PES3A Injection Pump #4  
There is a series of Mico pumps that r engine oil fed..
But they will have an oil line from the engine to the pump.

/ Farmtrac 45 Mico PES3A Injection Pump
Yep, I saw a video on YouTube for a 4 cylinder Mico pump that had the oil feed from from the engine. My model doesn't have that feed linne though. I think I ended up answering my own question. I was 25 hours away from an oil change so I went ahead and drained the crankcase and waited long engough for the oil flow to slow to a drop every 10 seconds or so. Then I added oil the the governor side of the pump and within 5 minutes I was getting a steady stream of oil draining from the crankcase. I'm assuming that there is a shaft seal on the pump around the shaft that drives the cam lobes and that seal has failed.

/ Farmtrac 45 Mico PES3A Injection Pump #6  
It sounds as tho, u would be correct..