Farmtrac 360DTC Shuttle Drive Lever will not stay engaged

/ Farmtrac 360DTC Shuttle Drive Lever will not stay engaged #1  

Clevelandtx

Tractor
Farmtrac 360DTC
Farmtrac 360DTC. My Shuttle Drive Lever will not stay engaged when moving forward. The Shuttle Shifter just pops out of gear in forward only. I have a Farmtrac 360DTC, 39HP with a Shuttle Drive, Full Synchromesh transmission with 380 hours. This seems to be a progressive problem. It started a few months back when it began to get difficult to shift into gear. I found if I double clutched, it then will engage and work fine. At this point I serviced the tractor by changing all fluids, filters and lube. This did nothing to solve the problem. The problem began to get worse, sometimes grinding the gears a bit when trying to engage. I checked the clutch adjustment, and all is good. I also noticed the harder I worked the tractor the harder it would be to get to move from forward to reverse. One day I was really working it hard, moving dirt with the loader and I could no longer engage it in forward or reverse. I left the tractor sit while I did some research. One of the forums said to spike the left and right brakes. Not sure what that has to do with anything, but I was then able to move the tractor by holding it in gear. The next morning everything seemed fine. It just was a little hard to get into gear. I started thinking it was when the tractor was hot that things did not work. That no longer seems to be the case. It consistently pops out of forward gear now and the only way to move it is to hold it in or use reverse. I also notice Reverse is getting hard to engage. I have read some similar posts that talked about detent ball issues but that seems unlikely as this problem seems to be progressively getting worse and reverse although difficult, it engages and stays in gear. Any ideas on what the problem may be? If so, please share the fix and difficultly level and/or approximate cost of the repair? :confused:

/ Farmtrac 360DTC Shuttle Drive Lever will not stay engaged #2  
Is there any linkage for the shuttle lever that is visible and accessible? I'm asking because some tractors will that the shuttle lever going directly to the inside of the transmission, while others have a bit more complex linkage outside of the transmission. Check if anything got loose over time, which would cause the fork inside the transmission to not fully engage and pop out.

/ Farmtrac 360DTC Shuttle Drive Lever will not stay engaged
It appears to go straight into the transmission. I have not pulled the entire column apart yet to say with certainty. It looks as if it is a straight shot from the lever into the top of the transmission. I suspect it is a transmission type issue of some sort. Hopefully, someone familiar with the setup can shed some light on this issue. What I hope to learn is if this is a known issue and if it is something that can be easily repaired without dropping the entire transmission?

/ Farmtrac 360DTC Shuttle Drive Lever will not stay engaged
The problem wound up being the synchronizer. Had to open the transmission and while in there I had the repair shop replace both forward and reverse gears.

/ Farmtrac 360DTC Shuttle Drive Lever will not stay engaged #5  
Hey there. I
The problem wound up being the synchronizer. Had to open the transmission and while in there I had the repair shop replace both forward and reverse gears.
know this thread is a little old but I have this same tractor doing the same exact thing. Does the tractor have to be broke in half? Or can you access all of it from the top side, underneath the floorboard?

/ Farmtrac 360DTC Shuttle Drive Lever will not stay engaged #6  
you're experiencing issues with your Farmtrac 360DTC Shuttle Drive Lever. This could be caused by a variety of factors, including a faulty lever mechanism or a problem with the transmission basketball reviews. It's best to have a qualified technician inspect and diagnose the issue to determine the root cause and provide a solution. If you need any further assistance, please let me know and I'll do my best to help.