Traction F1700 2WD or 4WD?

/ F1700 2WD or 4WD? #1  

Bubbahyde

Tractor
ford 1700
How can I tell if my Ford 1700 is 2WD or 4WD and how to you change from one to the other? Thanks!

/ F1700 2WD or 4WD? #2  
How can I tell if my Ford 1700 is 2WD or 4WD and how to you change from one to the other? Thanks!
There will be a drive shaft running up to the center of the front axle to a differential there. If you have that you engage by pulling up on a lever on the top of the transmission. Always have the clutch pushed in and the tractor stopped before engaging the lever. Sometimes it takes some effert to pull up and you may have to put the transmission in a netural gear to get the gears to mesh. Pushing back down on the lever disengages the 4 x4.

/ F1700 2WD or 4WD?
OK. Like on a 4WD truck. I'll check when I get home. Thanks!

/ F1700 2WD or 4WD? #4  
OK. Like on a 4WD truck. I'll check when I get home. Thanks!

I have a 1700 I bought new in 1979, so I can answer most questions about opperation. The 1700 4x4 front axle at the inside of front tires has a 1/2 round hub which contains drive gears to each front wheel.

The most appearant indicator of a 4 x 4 will be the front tread will be ag tread to match the rear tires and not a regular flat tread like a car tire.

/ F1700 2WD or 4WD?
Cool. I'm also going to try and find and clean the hydraulic filter as I've seen in the forums here. Having same problem; 3PH won't come up after it gets warmed up; same with bucket on front.

/ F1700 2WD or 4WD? #6  
Cool. I'm also going to try and find and clean the hydraulic filter as I've seen in the forums here. Having same problem; 3PH won't come up after it gets warmed up; same with bucket on front.
You will be running to some work to change the hydrolic filter as it is internal and requires draining all the transmission fluid out. Follow the tube from the pump on the engine to the rear where the tube enters the transmission. The filter is a metal screen inside the transmission about 6 to 8 inches long. It can be cleaned and reused. It holds 23 US Quarts of trans fluid. If it has been recently changed and is clean you catch it in a clean bucket and re-use. Check dipstick on top of the transmission and see if the fluid looks milky, if it is you have water in the fluid and it must be thrown out. Water in the fluid might cause the lift problem instead of the filter. It could be that your hydrolic piston seal is bad and will need replacing instead of cleaning the filter. There is some good information on this forum about changing that. I do not have a front loader so I do not know if they use the same piston for both. Someone else will have to answer that one. Before you start working on the tractor, try to determine which is the actual lift problem to prevent doing any un-necessary work.

/ F1700 2WD or 4WD? #7  
the loader works off the same pump as the 3 point. If it dont wont to lift when it gets hot that sounds more like a pump problem rather than a filter problem since oil gets thinner when it warms up so if the cold oil can go through it good the hot oil should do even better