F-Series Hydro Leak

/ F-Series Hydro Leak
I would tend to agree.... mine has about 3000 hrs, but as not original owner, not sure if original mounts. By the way, you mentioned in another post an engine block oil plug that was popping loose.... can you show on parts or shop drawing what and where that is? I can not seem to identify it.

Overall, I have not had too many unexpected or serious repairs on the two F-series machines I have.... and not found any other machines that look to meet my property needs for reasonable price and locally available sales/service. So far, I have been able to do majority of service/repairs myself.

/ F-Series Hydro Leak
Hey Dude, Can you point out specifically which plug has popped out on you? Look to be over half dozen possible plugs on the drawing.... no problem yet, but want to keep my eye on the potential problem.

Wonder if your engine somehow building up excess crankcase pressure as I doubt they would use a push-in plastic plug on the pressure side of the oil system.

Meanwhile this machine out-of-action waiting on parts and dealer to pick up....

/ F-Series Hydro Leak
Dealer got it fixed but did take all the disassembly I had figured.... and dreaded, but all good now! Took 1 1/2 mechanics over a day to accomplish.

/ F-Series Hydro Leak #14  
Hey Dude, Can you point out specifically which plug has popped out on you? Look to be over half dozen possible plugs on the drawing.... no problem yet, but want to keep my eye on the potential problem.

Wonder if your engine somehow building up excess crankcase pressure as I doubt they would use a push-in plastic plug on the pressure side of the oil system.

Meanwhile this machine out-of-action waiting on parts and dealer to pick up....
Sorry it took me so long to respond.

1679571193432.jpeg

The back right side (“passenger side”) of the engine. I’ve lost 2 of them and began carrying spares.
Beginning to think this happens on very steep slopes. Oil runs to back and pressurizes crank case and blows off cap???? Otherwise I don’t see how else it happens

/ F-Series Hydro Leak
Big Thanks Dude.... looks like a casting plug that should not be subjected to more than (vented) crankcase pressure, thus my thought that crankcase vent on top of valve cover blocked or defective. I have been running an F-2880 and now a 3680 on terrain so steep (to 40 deg) I have made up a set of tire chains for even better control and safety margin and not blown such a plug nor have high oil consumption.

After confirming this series machine actually would handle my property in OEM configuration I upgraded my safety and comfort margin with 3" wheel spacers and fluid-filled main wheels, 120% additional rear counterweight, always wear seatbelt (and sometime a bike helmet)..... and disabled the seat switch to prevent killing engine at truly awkward moment if butt light on seat and losing hydro control as brakes mostly for parking!! Absolutely best machine locally available and serviced for my situation.... all the councils (municipalities) all over OZ use them for years.... so durable and available at reasonable $$ after they have spent many years & hours using and abusing them hard.

After being on lookout for several years to upgrade from the F-28 w/60" deck to F-36 w/72" I finally found a good deal a year ago.... and after fair bit of time rebuilding it, now have TWO F-Series.... was going to sell the F-28, but decided more valuable as a fully functional spare.

I do not envy you in the rust belt.... we retired 12 years ago after many years in Colorado Rockies and then BC Canada and the heavy snow and ice conditions before making the big sea-change and settling in coastal Tasmania.... no looking back! Had a K2500 and Western plow, a PowerTrac PT1845 with 6' hyd blower (and blade, bucket, etc, etc) in Colorado and a ToolCat w/blower, blade and sand spreader in Canada.... distant memories (and not all good ones) now! Acres of 'mowed paddock' now plus few odds and ends for friends & neighbours.... but keeps me as busy as I want or need to be!

Good Luck to you!!! Cheers, Rip

/ F-Series Hydro Leak #16  
Big Thanks Dude.... looks like a casting plug that should not be subjected to more than (vented) crankcase pressure, thus my thought that crankcase vent on top of valve cover blocked or defective. I have been running an F-2880 and now a 3680 on terrain so steep (to 40 deg) I have made up a set of tire chains for even better control and safety margin and not blown such a plug nor have high oil consumption.

After confirming this series machine actually would handle my property in OEM configuration I upgraded my safety and comfort margin with 3" wheel spacers and fluid-filled main wheels, 120% additional rear counterweight, always wear seatbelt (and sometime a bike helmet)..... and disabled the seat switch to prevent killing engine at truly awkward moment if butt light on seat and losing hydro control as brakes mostly for parking!! Absolutely best machine locally available and serviced for my situation.... all the councils (municipalities) all over OZ use them for years.... so durable and available at reasonable $$ after they have spent many years & hours using and abusing them hard.

After being on lookout for several years to upgrade from the F-28 w/60" deck to F-36 w/72" I finally found a good deal a year ago.... and after fair bit of time rebuilding it, now have TWO F-Series.... was going to sell the F-28, but decided more valuable as a fully functional spare.

I do not envy you in the rust belt.... we retired 12 years ago after many years in Colorado Rockies and then BC Canada and the heavy snow and ice conditions before making the big sea-change and settling in coastal Tasmania.... no looking back! Had a K2500 and Western plow, a PowerTrac PT1845 with 6' hyd blower (and blade, bucket, etc, etc) in Colorado and a ToolCat w/blower, blade and sand spreader in Canada.... distant memories (and not all good ones) now! Acres of 'mowed paddock' now plus few odds and ends for friends & neighbours.... but keeps me as busy as I want or need to be!

Good Luck to you!!! Cheers, Rip

Please send pictures of your country if possible.

/ F-Series Hydro Leak #17  
Wow that was a quite a leak and made a mess - hopefully you can figure a permanent solution.

I got little concerned and just went out to check my F3060 which has a 4-cylinder 30 hp V1305-FM engine and looks like it does not have an opening for a plug in that location.
It's due for valve clearance check soon so I will make sure to inspect the crank case ventilation while at it.

IMG_5886.JPG IMG_5887.JPG