ELC coolants??

/ ELC coolants?? #11  
cowboydoc,

How do you know which coolant is rated for your motor? My M4900 owners manual just says to use permanent typ anti-freeze.

TBone

/ ELC coolants?? #12  
T-bone,
Look in your operator's manual. It will tell you the specs. Then just look on the side of the antifreeze container and it will give you the specs there for your particular application. If still no luck call Fleetguard. They will tell you which ones you can and can't use. For your diesel tractor the Fleetguard long-life ELC will be just fine. If you have any Farm and Fleet's close they sell it there for about $7 a gallon.

/ ELC coolants?? #13  
Thanks Richard. I don't have a Farm and Fleet but I'm sure somebody will have it.

TBone

/ ELC coolants?? #14  
Tractor Supply Co. has it, if you have one of those close.

/ ELC coolants?? #15  
Thanks Bird but the nearest TSC is 150 miles away too. That's what you get when you live in the Boonies.

My oldest son worked as a coop student for Toyota in Georgetown, Kentucky when he was in engineering school. I loved to go to the TSC there when we visited him. We just don't have many places like that here.

We have a lot of dealers but most of them just carry the basic stuff. I'm sure my Kubota dealer has whatever coolant they use. I'll look next time I'm by there.

TBone

/ ELC coolants?? #16  
I just changed my antifreeze in my JD750 last night. I bought a bottle of WIC (?) at my local diesel service place. They were reluctant to sell it to me, but finally parted with a 1 pint bottle. I mixed 50/50 Prestone with water and added 4 oz of WIC per the instructions.

While I was at my local WalMart I noticed Rotella Diesel Extended Life antifreeze. I didn't buy it since I already had the WIC product.

My local JD dealer really didn't know anything about this. Their mechanic said that they just recommend regular antifreeze.

My question is where are the test strips available to check the coolant from time to time? Anyone have a source on the WEB?

Finally, has anyone used the WIC additave and how well does it protect?

/ ELC coolants?? #17  
NAPA auto parts has the test strips.

If I was you though I would save myself the trouble of checking it and just drain and put back in something like Fleetguard that is extended coolant for diesels. I use it for all my diesels and never a problem.

/ ELC coolants?? #18  
Cowboydoc -

Thanks for the reply!

I have read about Fleetgard on this site, but if memory serves me correctly, you can only get it at Tractor Supply. Those of us who live in New England are deprived of Tractor Supply.

I sometimes go to the one in Orangeburg SC where my son lives if I am visiting. Wish we had one in Rhode Island.

Anyways, am I correct that you can only get Fleetgard at Tractor Supply? If it is available anywhere else, it would be a lot easier that what I am doing.

/ ELC coolants?? #19  
Rocky,
I've seen it at NAPA, Farm and Fleet, and other stores around here.