Dunbar WV - Terramite Beginnings

/ Dunbar WV - Terramite Beginnings #1  

Mattc8832

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3032e,Snapper Pro SW20 and s200, Stihl Handhelds, BCS 830, Yamaha Rhino 700, 2 - Gravely 5260, New Holland LS 45 , 6,10 by 14 Trailer , Woods BH 6000 Towable Backhoe, Honda 21 Self Propelled, Exmark Commercial 21and shop full of tools
Terramite Backhoe Corp was formed and developed right here in central wv. Its amazing to me that most local people here in this area have no idea that Gravelys were invented and build here along with terra mite backhoes. Terramite still has a factory here in Cross Lanes today. Glad that we can say we are the home of the terra mite backhoe......

/ Dunbar WV - Terramite Beginnings
My Terramite TC5 - sold it June 2012

IMG_0433.jpg

/ Dunbar WV - Terramite Beginnings #3  
If you are in Dunbar sometime soon the old smoke stack from the Gravely plant is still standing. If you look closely you can see some of the lettering is still left on it. Pretty cool piece of history - I would love to walk through the old building sometime.....

Where at in Dunbar is the old plant. Is it near the railroad tracks? Thanks Matt

/ Dunbar WV - Terramite Beginnings #5  
Yes - right on the other side. The building has a for sale or lease sign on it currently.
The stack is toward Institute just a bit, think it is 1303 Charles Ave. The one stack is still there and you can see most go "Gravely" on it but one or two letters are missing. The place next door does shredding and sometime has the garage door open (has a gate that goes across the door so it is a bit more noticeable).
I should have took a photo last time I was over there.....

Thanks