Drainage pipe depth

/ Drainage pipe depth #1  

cisco

Platinum Member
Tractor
L3410
Like to thank those with advice on my query last week re. burying a drainage pipe deep enough to be safe (i.e., not bent or crushed when my tractor/Fel/boxblade rolls over it). Last weekend I placed a 6 inch PVC (thick, schedule 40) 9" under, from the top of the pipe to the surface. I packed dirt around the sides of the pipe, dumped fill on top, and then packed it down again with my FEL. No problems thereafter when my tractor, and then loaded pickup, drove over the area. Note that a middle buster (potato plow) digs a trench large enough for a 6" pipe one heck of a lot faster, and straighter, than does gouging it out piecemeal with a FEL.

/ Drainage pipe depth #2  
What! No pics! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

logo.jpg

/ Drainage pipe depth #3  
A point to remember is that schedule 40 and 80 PVC are the thickest and strongest of the PVC pipe in the smaller sizes we usually use, but they begin to lose out at about 2" diameter. Then you want to go to the SDR (Standard Demension Ratio) or Class pipe. In the 6" pipe used here the schedule 40 wall is .280" thick, the SDR 13.5 (Class 315) has walls .491" thick.

Also, if you are exposing it to sunlight you should paint it, as the UV rays really break it down and make it brittle.

Kevin