Don't mix oils

/ Don't mix oils #1  

DarinRay

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 JD 4310 300CX 72MM, dozers, excavtors, bachoes, loader, tractors.
Don\'t mix oils

O.K. I am a little confused with what the owners manual states about do not mix oils. This is under my KX91-2 hydraulic oil and it states ISO 32. Do they mean don't mix a ISO 68 with a ISO 32 or do they mean don't mix brand names? If it's ISO 32 it shouldn't make a difference who made it right? They have the same properties or what? Thanks a bunch TBNer's.

Darin

/ Don't mix oils #2  
Re: Don\'t mix oils

Darin, I understand your confusion. For me it comes down to don't mix various consistencies such as you mention (not that I think it would be disasterous). The other consideration is whether its has a special property(s) such as Kubota Super UDT which is quite possibly synthetic becasue of its low temperature characteristics. Even with what I know of oils, the synthetics say they are completley compatible with fossil oils. I have never had a problem mixing oils, (I use NAPA's Universal Tractor Fluid) have not yet done it in my new tractor, part of that is becasue it is HST and relies heavily on the hydraulic oil, the manual calls for Super UDT specifically. I believe it has to do with the low temperature ability more then anything else. Rat...

/ Don't mix oils

Thanks Rat. It's funny how things are stated in our owners manual and then they can't explain how or why sometimes. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Then throw in the fact that I don't have a clue on things and it makes it even more difficult. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Darin

/ Don't mix oils #4  

Since there are a lot of technically oriented people who are TBN members, I believe that a lot will attest to the fact that technical people know their subject matter and have a bit of a problem writing about it in a clear, concise manner. It isn't inuitively obvious to them that what they write is not understandable to the casual observer (the reader). Another problem is that some of the manuals are written in other countries and are translated into English. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

I work in a culturally diverse workplace and the documents created by some of the engineers need totally rewritten. A sad but true fact is that the worst examples are usually written by an engineer born, raised, and educated in this country. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

Terry

/ Don't mix oils #5  

I work in a culturally diverse workplace and the documents created by some of the engineers need totally rewritten. A sad but true fact is that the worst examples are usually written by an engineer born, raised, and educated in this country.

The best class I took in Kollege was Technical Writing.
The instructors always emphasized <font color=red>"Know your Audience!!!"</font color=red>

I know what ya mean, Terry...

/ Don't mix oils

Well to add more question...Just read my L35 manual and it states if you change oil brands or viscosity to remove all teh old oil..../w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Hmmmmm??

Darin

/ Don't mix oils #7  

Darin,

I can see it now, lines off, oil everywhere. I am sure this has been raised before, how's it done??

Carl