Dog run

/ Dog run #11  
<font color=blue>Want mine?</font color=blue>
I can completely understand. At several points during house training I was ready to ship him off to the SPCA, I didn't care what we paid for him! And I wasn't even home all day with him.

animation1.gif

/ Dog run #12  
I forgot to add something important about the Smart Dog system. It has an audible beep. Once the dog learns that sound, you have their attention.

Tip, our Border Collie, just becomes a limp towel when he hears that sound. Sounds cruel, but not really. Our dog is single minded and we had to do something to get his attention. It worked. Now that with obedience training, he's become a real joy to have around. Plus, we can let him out all day and really not have to worry about him getting into trouble.

Terry

/ Dog run #13  
Terry,
I was watching TV and they showed a similar rig except instead of shocking the dog the transmitter triggered a receiver which pumped out compressed stuff the dog wasn't supposed to like. I think they said it was "Cetronal" (sp). Ever heard of such a thing?
Al

/ Dog run #14  
Yes! Our vet has used those to stop problem barking. A little woof is fine, but a loud bark gets the dog a mist of citrus-smelling stuff. Worked pretty well on the dog we saw.

Pete

www.GatewayToVermont.com

/ Dog run #15  
Twinkle Toes,

Nope, but sounds similar in theory.

I don't know about the rest of you but having a trained, well behaved dog is a pleasure. Prior to our Border Collie, I've had two standard collies. Much easier to train in my opinion. A Border Collie takes work. Once trained, they are wonderful. But getting there is like having a couple of toddlers. They want to listen, but something drives them to think for themselves. Just a breed trait, once harnessed and understood, great animals.

An example, I've trained Tip to get his electronic collar and return it to me prior to being let out. It took two sessions. In fact, he's beginning to retrieve his standard collar as well. The next step is to get him to bring it to us to show that he wants to go outside. A little more tricky, but doable.

Terry

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by TerryinMD on 12/22/01 11:37 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Dog run #16  
Terry,

What kind of training methods do you use? Sounds like you have pretty good success!

We're in the process of looking for a dog (probably a puppy from the pound) and want to be sure we will eventually have a well mannered companion! Are there any books you can recommend?

Thanks!

Billboe

/ Dog run #17  
billboe,

To be honest, we have taken our dog to obedience classes. Since I commute a hundred miles back and forth to work daily and our youngest daughter was the one who primarily wanted to have a dog, we had to resort to formal training.

First and foremost, understand the breed of dog before jumping in headfirst. It really makes a difference. Each breed has traits that need to be understood. A Bordie Collie is a highly motivated animal, they just love to work and please. Key word is work. Very high energy animal which needs a lot of attention. They are task-oriented and need to be worked. That is one example. See the attached photo of a Red Border Collie in his observing mode. Seems like he's ready to attack, but actually just watching and "counting". Yes, they count.

My youngest daugher had ZERO experience with training or, for that matter, being around dogs. She watched too much Animal Planet Channel and thought that it would be cool to have a Border Collie. I like dogs and thought that it would be a good experience for her. So, she promised to work with the animal, yada, yada, yada..... /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

The Contain and Train system was primary to keep the dog on our property. I hate kenneling dogs in a run or tieing them up. What's the sense of having a dog if you can have them be a dog? Anyway.... This system has given the dog a couple of acres to run a play and we don't have to worry about him taking off. It has also helped in having him respond to commands. Tip is a very focused dog and loves to be outside. Once he made his mind up to be outside, he was going to stary there!! The collar came in handy to change his behavior. Since he understood what the beep meant with the containment system (beep once - no shock), all we had to do is utter the command "Come", if he did not respond, I'd beep the collar and he would come to us for safety. Two sessions and now no problem. There is a little more in the next paragraph.

We joined the local Kennel Club. Luckily, it is only a few miles from our house. They have a women who is an excellent trainer. The lessons were to teach my daughter and the dog (the daughter needed more work /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif). Since joining the club and taking advantage of the lessons, Tip is becoming more manageable and the daughter has more confidence. I also have learned by observing how the trainer works with the people and the dogs. It is amazing to see how the dogs behave with the trainer and then with their owners. Uh-huh, dogs are REAL dumb - right!! They know how to manipulate us and get what they want. Cost - $85 for the first eight weeks, $50 for next eight weeks, $35 for the next session. Yes, the cost goes down (at least for us). The trainers reasoning is that the further training you receive takes less time and effort on her part and that you want to be there. Very interesting concept!!

To sum it up, if you haven't had the opportunity to work with dogs for a while or at all, it would probably be good for you and the dog to go to classes. It gives you the understanding of how to work with the dog and confidence to command them. The dog will learn the commands through the training and reinforcement by the owner. Again, once trained, dogs are a joy to have around.

Oh yes, trainers. Ask around your area. Talk to some local rescue groups. Two reasons, they'll be able to tell you about trainers and you should be able to get a nice dog.

Hope this helps.

Terry

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by TerryinMD on 12/24/01 08:12 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

Attachments

• 8-93525-Tip.jpg
    8-93525-Tip.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 82
   / Dog run #18  
Hello Terry,

Yes, I've read a bit about border collies... Like you said, they <font color=yellow>NEED</font color=yellow> a job. The photo you have of Tip (I assume that is Tip) is just what you think of when you think of a border collie!

Rescues are a good suggestion... We're interested in giving a dog that "needs" a home a home, so, we've haven't been thinking much about "pure breeds". Plus, while we want to do a good deed, we're not angles... We want to make sure we get a dog that we can live with.

Anyway, thanks for the information... We'll probably to some reading on our own as well as tap the local training talent.

Billboe

/ Dog run #19  
Billboe,

Yes, that is Tip. In that picture, he's waiting for one of us to throw the frisbee. If you didn't understand a Border Collie, it would look like a threatening stance. The sheep don't know that though.... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Hmmmm, neither does the frisbee. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Local animal shelter or rescue organization, either way you're doing the right thing. Any animal you get is somewhat of a chance, you try to "feel" out their tempermant and character. Shelter animals tend to be not wanted. Rescue animals tend to be abused!! With that in mind, you need to spend a little more time with animals from a rescue organization. Typically, the people running the rescue will try to help you work with the animal.

We have a few people in our neighborhood who have gotten animals from rescue shelters and have had good success. Took them some time to work with the animals, but all in all, things worked out good for the dog and the new owners. It's a labor of love.

Happy Holidays to you and good luck.

Terry