Diesel fuel storage options

/ Diesel fuel storage options #31  
Nice GS....I had a coupe back in 2000/2002...Sold it with about 3K miles on it..If it was a red interior I would have kept it.

I love mine-probably be buried with it! Or my ‘66 Mustang ( or maybe both??). It’s nice to have a car that only a few (1000) were built and are individually numbered.

/ Diesel fuel storage options #32  
I've got nine, 5-gallon jugs. Just bought four of the wide mouthed JEG's type as they are MUCH nicer to fill than the narrow mouths!

I go through enough with the JCB and International that I'd like to have a tank here but then I need to find someone to bring it here. I'd really like to have either a truck with transfer tank mounted in back but....don't have a truck, don't really NEED a truck so hard to justify a truck plus transfer tank to replace a number of 5-gallon buckets.

Or, I'd like to have a trailer with a tank mounted....not sure the wife's subaru would pull that weight (I think it would ?) we also have some steep hills to go up AND down....the going up part would have an empty tank, fill at co-op then the full tank/trailer would have to go down the steep road (which is roughly 1 1/2 lanes wide so most folks stop and go REAL slow to pass someone going other direction)

My car won't work for any of the above....honda accord, no trailer hitch AND no trailer!

I've been just stuffing tanks into trunk of my prior car (Toyota Camry) but one reason it's been replaced as it keeps losing water (radiator) and I've not put any effort into fixing that. I don't want to be at the Co-op with a steaming engine.

I try to keep the two machines and my riding mower (also diesel) full at all times AND a full compliment of fuel on hand so if I have a long day cutting or backhoeing, I can fill machine at end of day.

Both machines, of course, have their fuel cap on TOP so I have to climb on either machine, schlep the can up there, sling it onto the hood and go from there.....then, schlep second, third, fourth can until tank is full.

A wise person once said (just above actually!) "they're not getting any lighter"

100% agree! Every time I'm refueling, I have racing thoughts go through my head on how to make it easier.

/ Diesel fuel storage options #33  
My setup weighs about 1200#, 700# for the trailer and 500# for the tank, fuel, and battery.

/ Diesel fuel storage options #35  
I fork a 100 gal tank in and out of the wife's pickup.
I used to put it in my van but the fuel station filling hose can be a wrestling match given the rear doors being in the way.

She can't object. I put 20k down on it. ;)

/ Diesel fuel storage options #36  
I got a 50 gal tank from a reefer. Built a frame for it and pallet fork it on and off the piackup. The frame sits on another frame with two HF dOllie’s that I can roll around in the pole barn. Have a 12v pump that is powered from a battery pack.

/ Diesel fuel storage options #37  
I got a 50 gal tank from a reefer. Built a frame for it and pallet fork it on and off the piackup. The frame sits on another frame with two HF dOllie’s that I can roll around in the pole barn. Have a 12v pump that is powered from a battery pack.
Pictures?

/ Diesel fuel storage options #38  
The local fire department used to have a large diesel-fired back-up generator for use during power outages. with permanent stand-up 200-gallon outdoor tank. Got plenty of use during most winter storm seasons. But during long lulls the fuel would get stale and even turn to gel in extreme cold. Nobody wanted the stale diesel, big environmental issue. But the town transfer station has a drain-oil heater. Eventually the firefighters switched to propane which requires much less maintenance, no aging issue.

I like to keep my tractor tank full to minimize water condensation. To keep the barn 5-gal storage tanks ready, I top them off during gas-station runs, mixing half-fulls with fresh. Some of them may now have traces of 10-year-old fuel. No gel yet.

/ Diesel fuel storage options #39  
I have a 55 gal tank in the bed of my pickup and will be using my
2.5 gal oil jugs to keep diesel in. The $25+ for a yellow diesel can
will buy me over 5 gal diesel. Besides my 2.5 gal cans are easy
to handle and store.

willy

/ Diesel fuel storage options #40  
I never heard of diesel getting stale but it not treated gel yes.
I have diesel in my tank on my truck thats over 10 years old
but never worry about it when it gets low just go and fill it up
and treat it for winter never have any problems with using it
and it sits out side in the sun every day

willy