Diesel and Grease?

/ Diesel and Grease? #1  

Steelfan

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC21D
I have a question about the grading of Diesel. What is the difference between grade 1 and grade 2 ? Is there an additive in the grade 1? I admit to being new to owning a diesel tractor, and although I drive truck for a living, I know nothing about fuel. My company buys it, and I fuel when I return. The second question is about grease. What is the proper amount of grease to apply to the loader fitting? It seems like some of these connections could use grease. They have a dry look. Does the same rule apply to this as does cars, and such? You grease until grease comes out the side? I don't want to have grease all over the place. Thanks as always!!! Kent

/ Diesel and Grease? #2  
#1 is less viscous and has less paraffin than #2 (and therefore less power). It is not because it has an additive; it's refined differently. #2 is the fuel of preference but because has problems in cold weather, #1 is the fuel of choice when it's cold. #1 can be hard to find, but you can substitue kerosene or Jet-A if you can obtain those. It is usually preferable to blend #1 (or kero or Jet-A) in about a 50/50 mix with #2 as that gives you a good compromise and will usually not gel up unless it gets really, really cold (like -20F or so).

You can put too much grease in a fitting if it has seals. If it's open, overgreasing just makes a mess.

/ Diesel and Grease?
Thanks for the info cp1969, I'm grateful for the reply. Kent