Oil & Fuel Diagnose/troubleshoot Fuel Problems New Holland TL100

/ Diagnose/troubleshoot Fuel Problems New Holland TL100 #1  

wcarm

Tractor
John Deere
I bought a used (about 2003) TL100 in 2013 with a manual transfer pump and fuel injection. I bought it from the dealer here in east TN who has been excellent on service. I am not mechanically inclined. Over the years the tractor has experienced several fuel problems. The dealer's mechanic was here today and advised the following diagnosis steps when the tractor quits running and fuel starvation is suspected:

1 (Assuming there is fuel in the tank) he said the banjo nut at the first fuel filter its the number 1 cause of fuel problems in tractors like mine. The nut is the tractor's first line of defense against trash. It gets clogged with trash, just like a filter and the tractor stops. He took mine off, cleaned it, re-installed it, pumped up the manual pump on the transfer pump. It started after enough cranking to convey fuel to the engine and it runs fine.

2. If the banjo nut is found to be clean, he disconnects the output side of the of the transfer pump, pumps on the manual pump to see if it squirts fuel.

3. if the transfer pump squirts fuel, he goes to the bleeder at the second fuel filter. I am not sure what the bleeder is or what he does there. Would love to hear if anyone knows.

I would like to create a more complete list of diagnosis steps. All input welcome.

/ Diagnose/troubleshoot Fuel Problems New Holland TL100 #2  
I bought a used (about 2003) TL100 in 2013 with a manual transfer pump and fuel injection. I bought it from the dealer here in east TN who has been excellent on service. I am not mechanically inclined. Over the years the tractor has experienced several fuel problems. The dealer's mechanic was here today and advised the following diagnosis steps when the tractor quits running and fuel starvation is suspected:

1 (Assuming there is fuel in the tank) he said the banjo nut at the first fuel filter its the number 1 cause of fuel problems in tractors like mine. The nut is the tractor's first line of defense against trash. It gets clogged with trash, just like a filter and the tractor stops. He took mine off, cleaned it, re-installed it, pumped up the manual pump on the transfer pump. It started after enough cranking to convey fuel to the engine and it runs fine.

2. If the banjo nut is found to be clean, he disconnects the output side of the of the transfer pump, pumps on the manual pump to see if it squirts fuel.

3. if the transfer pump squirts fuel, he goes to the bleeder at the second fuel filter. I am not sure what the bleeder is or what he does there. Would love to hear if anyone knows.

I would like to create a more complete list of diagnosis steps. All input welcome.

While I don't know the specifics of your TL100, I can make some general comments about diesel fuel systems. The "bleeder screw " is found on most diesel fuel filter assemblies. It is located on the top of the filter head and when unscrewed, allows air to bleed out of the filter after filter replacement or running out of fuel, etc. There is generally a bleeder screw on each filter head.

Generally if a diesel is run out of fuel or if a filter is dirty and causes the engine to stop, you must bleed air out of the fuel system between the tank and the injectors. In some diesel fuel systems, the lift pump has a primer to allow the priming of the injector. SO starting at the fuel filter, you open the bleeder and make sure the fuel tap o the tank is open. As fuel flows into the filter the air pushes out of the bleeder hold in a bubbling action. When no more bubbles come out, you close the bleeder screw. If you have a second filter, you do the dame thing. here is usually a bleeder screw on the injector pump which is downstream of the lift pump. Open that screw and prime with the lift pump until there are no air bubbles at the bleeder and close the bleeder screw.. The go to the fitting from the injector pump to the injectors themselves. Make sure the battery is fully charged and crank the engine until you see air free fuel at the fitting then stop cranking and tighten the fitting. Do this on each injector and before you get the last ne the engine will likely start.

/ Diagnose/troubleshoot Fuel Problems New Holland TL100
I have heard the lift pump (between the first and second fuel filters on my tractor) also referred to as the "fuel pump" and "transfer pump". I assume these are all the same?

/ Diagnose/troubleshoot Fuel Problems New Holland TL100 #4  
The lift/fuel/transfer pump also has a screen. Accessible by removing the bolt on the top center with a 10mm wrench or socket.