Seeders Deere Van Brundt Model B Seed Drill

/ Deere Van Brundt Model B Seed Drill #1  

denachuck

Tractor
Kioti 3054
Hi all,

I just bought a John Deere Van Brundt Model B 16x10 seed drill (no actual markings, I deduced the model info from photos on the web). I don't know the year, but there is a note written in 1962 so it's older than that.

I'm looking for a parts and operating manual, as well as any tips you might have.

Specifically, there is no flow setting info for the large or small seed tunes, and the adjustment levers are quite tight. How best to loosen them? IMG_5203.JPGIMG_5202.JPGIMG_5201.JPG

/ Deere Van Brundt Model B Seed Drill #2  
Congrats on a nice find and welcome to TBN. Join the fun:thumbsup:

Your drill looks a lot like my restored Minneapolis Moline P3-6 drill. I bought two of these old drills from a neighbor for $275 and used parts from each to make one good drill. Used the drill to plant Kanota oats.

Drill-3.JPGDrill--4.JPGDrill-5.jpgDrill cups.JPGKanota oats-1.JPG

The feed rate adjustment levers on my drill were rusted. Had to disassemble them, clean off the rust and use spray galvanize paint to protect the metal.

To calibrate the drill, I just jacked the drill, turned the wheels 50 revolutions, caught the seed in several plastic boxes and weighed the seed. From the diameter of the wheel (48" for my steel wheels) you can figure out the distance travelled in 50 revolutions. Use that distance and the width of the drill to figure out area. Divide weight of seed by area to get pounds of seed per square foot. Repeat for several settings of the feed rate adjustment levers.

Good luck