Craftsman tiller - what would you sell it for?

/ Craftsman tiller - what would you sell it for? #1  

coaster

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 715
So my in-laws called me up a couple weeks ago and said that a widow they knew had an old tiller that they wanted to simply get rid of and wanted to know if someone wanted one. I have an old BCS 715 I use, but I'm always curious if someone wants to throw something out. I just enjoy trying to get something old to run again. It's just a challenge on my part. So I was prepared to arrive and find some old rusted out thing that probably wouldn't turn over, etc. I arrived to find a craftsman that was in very good shape. It was bought in 2012 and only used 3 times. The guy that bought it passed away 2 years later, so it had been sitting in a shed. It took me about 15 minutes to get it started, but once I did it's been starting on the first pull ever since. I was gonna use it as a backup maybe, but it really doesn't compare to the BCS.

Anyway, some people are already interested in buying it. I got it for free (travel and time really). I have the original receipt with manual and all and it cost about $780 originally. If you were to sell it, what would you sell it for?

See pics...

Attachments

• Image from iOS(5).jpg
    Image from iOS(5).jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 191
  • Image from iOS(4).jpg
    Image from iOS(4).jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 205
  • Image from iOS(3).jpg
    Image from iOS(3).jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 161
  • Image from iOS(2).jpg
    Image from iOS(2).jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 165
  • Image from iOS(1).jpg
    Image from iOS(1).jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 157
  • Image from iOS.jpg
    Image from iOS.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 171
   / Craftsman tiller - what would you sell it for? #2  
So my in-laws called me up a couple weeks ago and said that a widow they knew had an old tiller that they wanted to simply get rid of and wanted to know if someone wanted one. I have an old BCS 715 I use, but I'm always curious if someone wants to throw something out. I just enjoy trying to get something old to run again. It's just a challenge on my part. So I was prepared to arrive and find some old rusted out thing that probably wouldn't turn over, etc. I arrived to find a craftsman that was in very good shape. It was bought in 2012 and only used 3 times. The guy that bought it passed away 2 years later, so it had been sitting in a shed. It took me about 15 minutes to get it started, but once I did it's been starting on the first pull ever since. I was gonna use it as a backup maybe, but it really doesn't compare to the BCS.

Anyway, some people are already interested in buying it. I got it for free (travel and time really). I have the original receipt with manual and all and it cost about $780 originally. If you were to sell it, what would you sell it for?

See pics...

Looks to be in good shape.

In my area, (not yours), CList ads sit for over a month with tillers priced over $400. Not sure if they ever sell. Newer machines at the store are in the same price range of the $700 with the B+S 900 and 1100 Series engines with more power and a deeper depth.
Jump on your local CList and compare what machines are going for. Sadly, people have gotten their machines back in late March, thus selling now is a bit late in the garden season. Just depends on your zone location.

BTW, the shift selector has a tiny pin down at that CAM. Once that breaks, it's a real pain to get it working just right again.

Indeed, keep the BCS, it's great.

/ Craftsman tiller - what would you sell it for? #3  
Pictures bring back memories, used to have one of those.

If you use it something to be aware of. If you have rocky soil or you want to till deep, do not run the tines in reverse. It is not sturdy and too many hits or working it too deep with the tines going in reverse will cause the entire rear end that holds the tine shaft to bend. Had to have them come replace the entire transmission on mine, luckily it was under warranty at the time. Shear pins did not break, just bent it out of shape slowly. Overall I would say it's not meant for hard work. Maybe someone with a hobby garden but my 50x100 foot garden seemed to be too much for it. After that I never ran the tines in reverse and it lasted several years.

Until a few years ago now something broke inside, I suspect is was the pin mentioned by @bmaverick because I could no longer get it to shift. That's when I got a new one. Gave this to my father in law and he put the engine wood saw he uses for cutting boards. Still runs great.

I doubt you will get much for it. I'd put $200 on it and probably take $150 it I wanted to get rid of it.

/ Craftsman tiller - what would you sell it for?
@hube2 @bmaverick thanks for the input. That helps a lot. I've got this one guy (a friend) chomping at the bit to buy the thing; I think mostly because he has NOTHING right now :D Since I got it for free (outside of travel/time to pick it up), I was actually thinking of letting it go for $200 or so and I can see $150 for a friend. So, Hube, that's right in line with what you were suggesting. I think my wife wants to keep it because she knows the folks that gave it to us. But I think it's likely gonna just sit around collecting dust at our place, so I think it would be good to have someone get some use out of it. Yes, the BCS (as old as it is), is a better machine - that thing is a beast. Thx again guys!

/ Craftsman tiller - what would you sell it for? #5  
@hube2 @bmaverick thanks for the input. That helps a lot. I've got this one guy (a friend) chomping at the bit to buy the thing; I think mostly because he has NOTHING right now :D Since I got it for free (outside of travel/time to pick it up), I was actually thinking of letting it go for $200 or so and I can see $150 for a friend. So, Hube, that's right in line with what you were suggesting. I think my wife wants to keep it because she knows the folks that gave it to us. But I think it's likely gonna just sit around collecting dust at our place, so I think it would be good to have someone get some use out of it. Yes, the BCS (as old as it is), is a better machine - that thing is a beast. Thx again guys!
Yup!
$150 - $200

/ Craftsman tiller - what would you sell it for? #6  
Find someone who really needs it and just give it to them.
Is $150-$200 going to make YOU feel better or improve your life? How long will that "high" last?

I gave my old 10-speed bike (in good working order) to a neighbor kid of a single mom. He grew up, got married and still stops by occasionally to say hello and thank me. He found out that bike cost about $1200 new. He said his son still has that bike and has kept in good shape. He spent a lot of time over here helping me clear brush and cactus and string fence. He wouldn't accept any cash. He said his mom would just take it. So I fed him and he had free range of the pop cooler.

He always thought tearing things up was fun and worthy of praise. I told him anybody can tear thing up. If you want to show how good you are, make something. He helped built a chicken coup attachment to the barn. I could tell he liked doing that. The last I heard, he's a general contractor and builds homes.

A single good deed could last a lifetime. (y)

Last edited:
   / Craftsman tiller - what would you sell it for?
Find someone who really needs it and just give it to them.
Is $150-$200 going to make YOU feel better or improve your life? How long will that "high" last?

I gave my old 10-speed bike (in good working order) to a neighbor kid of a single mom. He grew up, got married and still stops by occasionally to say hello and thank me. He found out that bike cost about $1200 new. He said his son still has that bike and has kept in good shape. He spent a lot of time over here helping me clear brush and cactus and string fence. He wouldn't accept any cash. He said his mom would just take it. So I fed him and he had free range of the pop cooler.

He always thought tearing things up was fun and worthy of praise. I told him anybody can tear thing up. If you want to show how good you are, make something. He helped built a chicken coup attachment to the barn. I could tell he liked doing that. The last I heard, he's a general contractor and builds homes.

A single good deed could last a lifetime. (y)

So, Tin, I really wasn't disclosing EVERYTHING. It's certainly not all about the money. When I agreed to go pick it up, it was all about the curiosity. I expected to find this old, rusted out tiller that would not start. So it was the challenge of getting it to work that caught my interest. I didn't NEED a tiller. My in-laws thought of me because they know I like to tinker like that. I actually told my wife that I was a bit disappointed because it actually worked :) This was given to us, so my plan is to actually sell it and donate the money to missionary work. We know of a young couple who is about to embark on a journey this fall for an organization we know and love, so that's where the proceeds are going. So is the money going to make me feel better? Yes, it will feel good to donate it to this organization and the work that this young couple will do.

/ Craftsman tiller - what would you sell it for? #8  
If you give iy away they will not appreciate it or take care of it, easy come easy go.
Manyh years ago, i had an ole Toyota 91 model, ran good looked like hell warmed was a good work car. I put it for sale 300$ neighbor walked over and over and asked if it ran i said man here go drive it, he did and came back with the 300 dollars said he wanted it for his law, i said heck James just take it I'll give it to you, i signed the title over and off he went. 2 weeks went by, and my son said Hey dad what's your Toyota doing at the river bottoms on old HI way 90 ?? so i walked across the street and asked James what is deal with the car," he said oh the engine blew up!! heck that was the best part of that car. So i said now what, did you change the title over:" he said no. so now what he said oh it'll be alright. the Hiway dept had already red tagged it but since he got it for nothing, he just left it there, taught me a lesson, don't give nobody but a lot of hell. i called "pick your part and they gave me $300 for it ..
SO YES SELL IT!!