Craftsman Mower Deck Won't Disengage

/ Craftsman Mower Deck Won't Disengage #1  

timswi

Tractor
Kubota BX23 TLB, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota Z724 & Polaris RZR 900 Trail
We have an OLD (1996) Craftsman 42" lawn tractor that we use to cut grass at camp. It runs and looks almost like new. Recently, the mower deck has decided not to disengage. The Engagement arm hangs up about 2/3 of the way down and can't be forced any further. If I run it around some rough areas for a couple of minutes the vibration will cause disengagement.

Any common thoughts come to mind that might cause this? I took the deck off a few weeks ago and looked it over and nothing is obvious. I siliconed all pivot points and it worked fine for a time, not it's back to its old state.

May have to bring it home for the winter to tear into it.

/ Craftsman Mower Deck Won't Disengage #2  
What tends to happen is the idler cam on top of the deck not returning to the park position. This can be from wear, debris or rust. Most also had a return spring that helped to park the idler cam. The rollers on the brake arms also should be confirmed as working freely. Should you need more help, post the chassis model number from below the seat.

/ Craftsman Mower Deck Won't Disengage
Thanks Tom, I'll look at the idler...I'll get the model this weekend

/ Craftsman Mower Deck Won't Disengage #4  
Thanks Tom, I'll look at the idler...I'll get the model this weekend

Tom gave you a good description of what's happening. To permanently resolve involves some work on you part....check out "LawnMowerWorld" for solution and photos.
OR,
You can do what I do, since I have the same problem for the last 5 years. Go to the rear of the tractor and kneel down, just behind the discharge (you may need a flashlight). Look at the pulley closest to you on top of the mower deck. You'll see a metal bar resting against the pulley. Take a broom handle or stout stick, and push that metal bar towards the front of the tractor. You need to pry that metal spring loaded tab AWAY from the pulley. It's really quite simple and takes 3 seconds to do. Make sure you have already disengaged the mower handle to it's 2/3's resting point prior to attempting to push that metal tab or bar. Don't be afraid to give it a good push with the end of the stick. It will POP !! The disengagement handle will slam down the remaining 1/3 automatically.

My Craftsman won't start if the mower PTO is still engaged. So I go thru this everytime I mow. Keep the stick close by.

Let me know how it works out.
John

/ Craftsman Mower Deck Won't Disengage
Tom gave you a good description of what's happening. To permanently resolve involves some work on you part....check out "LawnMowerWorld" for solution and photos.
OR,
You can do what I do, since I have the same problem for the last 5 years. Go to the rear of the tractor and kneel down, just behind the discharge (you may need a flashlight). Look at the pulley closest to you on top of the mower deck. You'll see a metal bar resting against the pulley. Take a broom handle or stout stick, and push that metal bar towards the front of the tractor. You need to pry that metal spring loaded tab AWAY from the pulley. It's really quite simple and takes 3 seconds to do. Make sure you have already disengaged the mower handle to it's 2/3's resting point prior to attempting to push that metal tab or bar. Don't be afraid to give it a good push with the end of the stick. It will POP !! The disengagement handle will slam down the remaining 1/3 automatically.

My Craftsman won't start if the mower PTO is still engaged. So I go thru this everytime I mow. Keep the stick close by.

Let me know how it works out.
John

That suggestion will get me through the rest of the season--Thanks!!! :drink: