Comments and Questions(long)

/ Comments and Questions(long) #1  

Texxon

Tractor
4000 Ford
Hi, All!
I, like many others, have been lurking and reading and looking. Lots of looking!
I hope in a couple of months to be the proud owner of a new Century 3040 or Zetor C42L. I was wondering about the diffence between the two engines, one being a turbo and one not. Any problems with the turbo?
After looking at the big 3 and others, the FEL setup on the Century makes some of the others look like toys!
I know they are all good tractors, thought I wanted a JD before I started looking.
I also like the Century Dealer here, really seems to be a great guy, very patient, answers all my questions, and I think he will take care of me after the sale.
Anyways, Hope I can wait till then without going crazy, the old Ford 4000 I use now is getting old, and I love the safety and convience of the new ones.

/ Comments and Questions(long) #2  
I was told the C42L is a four cylinder the 3040 is a three cylinder turbo. I was kind of wondering the same thing myself. Also wondered about the direct injection of the 3045 and how much better it really is than the indirect of the 3040 or the C42L (no glow plugs to replace would be one plus).

Wish I could help more on the turbo stuff vs not. I would think long term the one w/o a turbo would be better. Seems to be diesel engines out last the turbos. Again take that with a gain of salt since I have no experience with those motors or turbos.

One other thing that probably will not help is I know on my Ford PSD that when the turbo kicks in the torque increases greatly. The four cylinder would also give more torque over the three (at least one would think). I guess since they are probably calculating the HP based on torque and RPM that is all irrelevent. I would recommend looking at torque charts for both motors as well and consider the one with the best torque curve.

Hope that was at least somewhat helpfull /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Carl

/ Comments and Questions(long) #3  
I have the Branson 4020 with turbo, and had the same thoughts when buying it....wondering about the turbo...and how reliable, and longterm how it would hold up. I take a little more care in starting up, and shutting down my tractor, usually allowing 5 minutes at shutdown to run at idle and cool down. Also the same when starting up....5 minutes to warm up...before driving.

pete

/ Comments and Questions(long) #4  
Pete is correct on the cool down. The trubo needs a bit of time to cool off or it will cook the oil and shorten the life of the turbo. My opinion (just that) is that 1/2 to 1 minute on start up would be enough unless it is cold (more time the colder it is). This is assuming that you will be driving the tractor for a minute or two before heavy load.